Teresa and Jason

The Lord bless this day.

It started out pretty simple: take my cousin to the movies. Offer him a ride home if he can't get in touch with his mom.

Around 4:30, he called me to come pick him up. Not a problem for me. It's not like I was caught up in anything other than reading online stories.

Pulling off 285, I saw a woman standing at the top of the exit ramp with a sign. "Hungry. Need food."

She was shaking so bad she couldn't even hold up the sign. She was in tears. Her clothes were dingy and falling off her. Her long hair graying hair was pulled back with a scrunchie. And she had a limp.

I couldn't stop to offer her money, but I knew in my heart that I had to do something for her.

As I drove to the theater to get my cousin, I asked the Lord to tell me if I should help her. Was she one of the few lives I'd be able to touch?

I picked up my cousin and as I was driving back, ready to head home, I made a split second decision.

"We're making a pit stop....or two." I pulled into the AMPM and parked. My cousin asked me what I was doing, but I simply told him to sit tight while I ran inside. Once inside, I went straight for the coolers. I picked out a big bottle of water then I looked for some food. I didn't want to get a bag of chips or some other junk food. I wanted it to be worth it. Then I saw the bag of trail mix. I'll admit. I had a small battle with myself over it. At first, all I could see was the price. 2.99 for this bag. I started to walk away to find something else, something cheaper. Then I stopped. I wasn't buying this for me. That woman in tears on the side of the road was asking for food. I could spare 3 bucks on a bag of trail mix.

Items purchased, I jogged back to my car and got in.

"What's that for?" My cousin asked me as I handed him the items. "You got yourself a snack?"

"No. It's not for me. I saw this woman on the exit ramp when I was coming to get you. If she's still there, I'm going to give it to her."

Lucky for me, she was. I had to pass her as the light was green, but I pulled into the nearest parking lot.

"I'll take it to her." My cousin started to get out.

"No. We'll both take it to her." We got out and walked back to where she was.

Today wasn't for me. It was for my cousin.

After we gave her the food, I asked her name.

Teresa.

She hugged us both, excited about the big bottle of water more than the trail mix (until she saw the M&Ms in it).

We spent some time talking to her as she told us stories of her time at the light on that exit ramp.

Teresa wasn't homeless. She was just someone who fell on hard times and can't work now. She introduced us to her husband who was standing near by to keep an eye on her but not so close as to draw the attention of the cops.

Teresa and her husband Jason live in the motel he works in. They have enough money to rent the room, but currently don't have enough money to buy groceries. She told us they haven't eaten for the last three days.

She went on to tell us about the many times she's been spit on and yelled at. The times people have offered her drugs. The time some people stood up to a cop for her because they too have heard her story and know she's just trying to get money for groceries.

Teresa shared with us that she used to be one of the people who would yell at those standing on the side of the road to get a job. Talk about role reversal. Her husband works six days a week and they don't even have enough money to buy groceries.

They're waiting on money from her settlement to come in. It's tied up in the bank right now. She made promises to give money back to the people at that exit ramp once they have funds again.

Teresa was a mother. She impressed upon us to tell our mothers they're doing something right if we're willing to stop and give her something to eat. She also spent some time lecturing us to wait for the right person before we have sex (her husband seconded her in that respect) and telling us stay as far away from drugs as possible.

At the end of it all, my cousin ended up giving her the last 2 bucks she needed so they could go home. She was practically jumping for joy at the thought of being able to make enough spaghetti to last them a few days. Spaghetti with meat in it.

How simple is that? She was excited for a dish that I took for granted as a kid. (We had it a lot.)

Like I said. Today wasn't for me. It was for my cousin.

He's 16 and I don't he ever experienced something like that. As we were walking back to the car, he smiled and said, "I feel good."

He spoke about he never stopped to think what the people on corners are really going through. I did the responsible adult thing and warned him about stopping to help anyone and everyone. I told him never to approach someone alone because you don't know what you're walking in to. I also impressed upon him the need to pray about it before stepping out. We can't help every single person we come across in a tangible way. We can pray for them, but we don't always have the means to give them money or to buy them food. I was lucky that my mom left me some cash this morning. I'm also glad I got to share this experience with my cousin.

So, I ask that anyone who reads this prays for Teresa and Jason who live in a motel off Lavista RD. in Georgia.
June 2nd, 2012 at 01:03am