Sex and Double Standards

Earlier I was watching and eisode of America's Next Top Model: British Invasion (I haven't seen the finale yet so I don't want t hear anything about it please) and they were talking about one of the contestant's (Laura) openess about her sexuality.
And it really set off one of my pet peeves, and that is the double standard about sex.

All this girl has done is publically admit to enjoying great sex and to th fact that she was sexually attracted to the judge on one of the challenges that she won and the other contestants branded her a slag and a bad role model and made jokes about her shagging her way to the top.
How is that fair?

If a man made the same comments then no one would bat an eyelid - people probably wouldn't even notice. Which leads me to the question why is it ok for men to admit to enjoying sex and yet as soon as a woman says the same thing it's offensive and scandolous?
From the first opportunity society starts teaching us that if you sleep with a man before the fifth date (or whatever it is they said in "The Rulebook") or the fourth date (according to Charlotte in Sex and the City) then no man will ever respect you and you might as well turn your knickers in to a flag that says "SLAPPER".

Before anyone gets the wrong idea I want to be clear, I'm not advocating any kind of lifestlye choice - that's not what this blog is about. It's about double standards. It's about the fact I don't think it's right for society to make women feel ashamed for enjoying sex or for being comfortable with enjoying sex.
It's a natural part of life, and if it's being done right it's amazing, so why shouldn't we be comfortable with that?
Why should we feel bad or guilty or ashamed?

And that's the other thing I was thinking when I was watching ANTM, as far as I'm concerned this girl is a role model.
She also never advocated any kind of lifestyle to anyone, she's just a woman who's not ashamed of her sexuality. And I think that's a good thing.
June 2nd, 2012 at 01:38am