Daugtry Live & Dislocated Shoulder For Doug Brown of SafetySuit

So as some of you know, I went to Daughtry tonight. Words can not describe the amount of fun I had.

The venue wasn't really a venue, you locals that follow me should know Abravanal Hall, but those that don't its a huge concert hall that looks like some opera house/theatre used in Phantom Of The Opera or something but it houses the Utah Symphony and the Utah Opera. So I was a little hesitant because it has these six chandeliers that are huge, I mean massive with tons of crystals and I know they were sturdy but those things did not move at all. So we actually were in the back which is usually where I sit for the symphony but the second tier was wonderful for this concert.

So Mike Sanchez came out gave us a nice show and seemed like a great guy. I didn't buy his EP and I regret it now. But he was definitely amazing. He was really funny. He started talking about our weather, "Yesterday I felt like my skin was going to melt right off of me and today I felt like I could go skiing. They weren't kidding when they told me wait five minutes and I'll find my perfect weather." So he got us all riled up and was a sweetheart. I'd love to met him in person sometime.

Then came out SafetySuit who I had no idea was there but it was a nice surprise. The guys had this rock version of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. The way the guitars were added just moved me. This song has been a favorite of mine. I go nuts over Rufus Wainwright's cover and even John Cale's over Jeff Buckley's version. You guys don't know how much I love this song so to hear it like this made me almost pass out from joy.

As SafetySuit continued they rocked so hard that the song before their last ended with Doug Brown dislocating his right shoulder! He sat down trying to see if he could pop it back in place but he couldn't so he decided to sing their last song sitting down half lying down. His voice was cracking and everything but he wanted to finish. He is a trooper and all of them are very talented. I've never seen a group of guys own a stage so wonderfully in a long time. They are amazing.

Finally, Daughtry. Good god, I couldn't contain my fangirl side. They used this backdrop as a screen to show them getting into a Dodge charger and as soon as the song was about to start the screen fell to the floor revealing the guys behind it and it was timed perfectly. It couldn't have gone any smoother. We had about an hour and twenty minutes of amazing songs from over the years and let me tell you, hearing Home life was life changing. For their encore we had about three or four more songs and they ended with It's Not Over, the song that I fell in love with and still listen to every day, and it just blew me away. Chris's voice live is breath taking. There are musicians that are amazing live and he tops them all. I applaud him and his sound guy because his voice was pure perfection.

So if you get a chance, see these people live. Its worth whatever you spend!
June 6th, 2012 at 10:40am