Thoughts on Evangelism

I think evangelism has been given a negative connotation over the years simply because people use it negatively. I'm not saying that evangelists are bad or they are wrong, I'm saying that the way they go about evangelizing and "spreading God's Word, love, and grace" is misguided.

To me, spreading the Word, love, and grace of God in a more positive and inspiring light is by doing. Whether people decide to listen is their choice, and most don't like to be pressured into a certain choise that they may not agree with 100%. THAT is what give evangelism it's negative connotation.

People, in general, don't like lectures. Who likes to listen to their teacher or college professor for hours and hours about a single subject? I sure don't. It's the same way with Christianity. People just don't want to sit around and waste their time listening to some dude tell them convert or go to hell. As for me, I would like to be SHOWN God's love, which is much more tangible than words.

Tangibility. That's something people really want. They want God to be TANGIBLE. Well, you're probably thinking, that's not really possible. But it is! I'll use Mission Trip as an example. Whether your client understands or not that you are out in the summer heat, making sure that this wheelchair ramp (or whatever your project is) will be beneficial to them, you are still showing them that not only you and your work team love them, but GOD loves them, too. Ever heard the phrase, "Actions speak louder than words"? Well, there you go, but whether they decide to take this act of charity humbly or not is up to them.

So, there you have it. Show others God's love, I think it will be more beneficial and (more importantly) more positively taken by the people who look down on the new connotation of spreading God's Word, love and grace", evangelism.
June 13th, 2012 at 04:57am