"Remember when it was ok to be racist?" + Story layout/summary swap.

My aunt has never been what one could deem ' mentally stable'. This is the woman who sent her son's father's wife black roses in the mail and tried to murder her own husband with a metal tape measurer for putting Ranch dressing on her salad.

I love her, because she is my mom's sister, but she grates at my nerves so bad. Today she, my mom, and me are sitting around talking and she randomly asks my mom, "Remember when it was ok to be racist? I miss those days."

And my mother agrees with her.

I can't help but to respond, "You mean you miss being able to freely hate someone for their skin color?"

To which she replies, "It's not their skin color I hate; it's their attitude that we owe them something because of what our ancestor's did."

Okay, there are black people who have this mentality, but a.) most of them don't, and b.) even if they did, hating someone is never ok.

She is generalizing based on stereotypes and that only adds fuel to the fire, but getting a word in edge-wise to tell her this is impossible at this point; she it's too busy blabbing about how she feels when she "watches Family Feud and there is a black family playing against a white family."

And I'm like, seriously? How is that even relevant to your so-called argument?

I do not like my family sometimes. At. All.

-----

So, I'm starting a new story. It will be posted as soon as my beta sends it back to me. I'm getting eager here, but I'm guessing she's just busy...

The story is called Beginning of the End.

It's essentially a zombie apocolypse story with romantic undertones (I might focus on the romance a little more, depending on how the characters develop.) I'm hoping to make this at least a little unique.

Anyway, what I want from you is some feedback (including con crit, if you have any) on the layout and/or summary. The character profiles are very basic at this point; I intend to add to them asap, but for now they're just pictures and ages.

So, if you have a summary or a very short drabble and want to trade for comments, leave a link in the comments. I'm pretty sure links work in blogs now. (:

Questions:

1.) Thoughts on racism?
2.) Do you have any family members who act/think/talk like this?
3.) Comment swap? (If so, put the link here.)
June 21st, 2012 at 10:45pm