Song review

In this blog i will be analyzing the song "Micheal Jackson" by the rap duo Das Racist.

Some of you may have heard them, most likely from their song "Combination Pizza hut and Taco bell", however, i assure you that all their songs actually do have a surprisingly deep meaning to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc__3nsfxwA&feature=related

Just listen to the song once or twice and then return here were i will explain the meaning behind not only the lyrics but also the video, which is equally important to this song.

Firstly, here are the lyrics (I will be censoring it but i will keep the first letter of the word):

[Hook]
Michael Jackson
A million dollars
You feel me?
Holler!
Michael Jackson
One million dollars
You feel me?
Holler!

[Verse 1: Heems]
These rap dads is on some fashion scene s*** 1
Skip that s*** that I spit to talk about how my jeans fit 2
But I got a clean grip on the game 3
Some mean s*** 4
And you seen the team that I spread my green from schemes with 5
Well it's your boy, like a Queens street Jhumpa 6
Heems the ruler 7
Medulla create the moola 8
And Me, I just do the rumba, por que esta es la rumba 9
And we, we are the future 10
Abdullah, see that's my shooter 11
The ruger, he keep it super 12
Duper, Abdul'll shoot ya 13
He'll knock you right out your Supras 14
Knock right out your Pumas 15
Doctor give you the sutures 16
Victor is in the cooter in tune with a boo from Hooters 17
While Dap is on the computer 18
Lakutis the clean up hitter 19
Call him the pooper scooper 20
Alec an Oompa Loompa 21
Retutor the school of looters 22
Hakuna matata Pumba 23
Por que esta es la rumba 24
Yeah, I'm f***ing great at rapping 25

[Hook]

[Verse 2: Kool A.D.]
Call me Janet Jackson 1
I got a hundred dollars 2
I got the jungle fever 3
Run with a hundred zebras 4
I got a leather jacket 5
I got a little hat on 6
I'm drinking carbonated water by the quarter gallon 7
I got an Eagle Talon 8
Call me Richie Valens 9
Me no speakie spanish 10
Valium and Caesar salad 11
I'm DJ Khaled 12
I'm a Daikon radish 13
See me next to sushi sexually 14
I'll sex your coochie 15
Extra juicy 16
Electrocute me 17
Fire scientist 18
McGuyver my appliances 19
Describe the flyest line in this 20
I am this, I insist 21
Shout to all the highnesses requiring that I'll buy them shit 22
You go girl, it's your world 23
Watching Parenthood 24
On Ketamine at the hoterrrrrl 25
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa... 26
WHAT? 17!

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
Kool A.D., you good at rapping 1
Yo Hima, you good at rapping 2
Yo Victor, you genus latin 3
Yo Hima, you Eric Clapton 4
Yo Victor, we going platinum 5
Yo Hima, we finna clap them 6
Kool AD's finna happen 7
We see the cream and we grab them 8
Yo Victor, just let me stab them 9
Chill Hima, we in Manhattan 10
Let's move the static to Staten 11
Move the static to Staten? 12
Let's move this static to Queens 13
D***, you crazy Heems 14
D***, that's very true 15
That's how we do 16

[Hook]Explain

Now, before i begin to break the song down, i believe that it is about how people in our society do things only for sex and money. It also deals with egoism abit.

The refrain(hook):

Micheal Jackson's death was ruled a homicide. However, who was truly the one orchestrating the murder? It then clearly states one million dollars, referring to the fact that he was extremely rich.

In the video (0:23), when the first verse is played you see what seems like:

A military general
A female politician
A man who likes like he could be a diplomat or a priest
A male politician
And of course, micheal jackson.

The table is another very interesting feature as this opens. It features:

All types of exotic fruits and meats, along with the normals,
A building on the left side
Busts of famous people
Red candles
And what i believe to be very important, a skull.

This states that the people in charge (politicians, priests, and the military), can get whatever they like, as it is already spread out on the table in front of them. The best food, all the land, fame, as well as making whoever they like famous, and most importantly, the have control over our lives (the skull)

The burlap sacks over the rappers heads, and the entire kidnapping scene refers to how the military can "black bag" you, basically coming in your house in the middle of the night, and stealing you away for execution.

First verse:

The first line is about how all the big people in rap are simply following trends because it gets them paid. The second line is about how people just ignore the "meaningful" rhymes he "spits" to go to the meaningless ones that the "rap dads" have. Line 5 says that if you look you can see the team of "meaningful" rappers he has. 10 states that they are the future, meaning the things they say will come to fruition. 13 talks about the violence on the streets. 25, the last line in this verse is all about egoism, how all modern rap is people talking about how good they are.

In video during the first verse (1:13), you mainly see the rappers behind the table, tasting all the amazing foods the people in charge have. They are giving him a taste of the greatness of being rich, but they will have to do as the rulers say if they wish for that to happen.

At the start of the refrain this time around (2:02) you see the one rapper, Heems, making gestures of masturbation, referring to how our society is obsessed with sex. You then see them in what appears to be an African village, which i believe may be showing how although America is very rich, other countries are neglected.

Second verse:

The second line states how he has little to no money. I believe the 3rd line to be talking about how he wishes he could go to a country (or place (the jungle)) where everything is simpler. 10 deals with how uneducated a lot of Americans are. 11 is about how we take pills for all our problems, and were so fat and even when we try to diet, we quit on it. 13 talks about how everything is sexualized, the same as lines 15 and 16. 17 basically says "execute me" as it deals with the electric chair. he says this because he knows what he is rapping about will make him a target if he becomes to big, like Micheal Jackson. 18 talks about how we fire scientists who are helping us. Then in line 19 it talks about how played with our appliances are. Did you everything you could be watched through your computer's camera? Did you know that all your texts and calls are stored in big government buildings, for, "anti-terroristic" measures? 22 says "screw the girls that want me to buy them things" because this world is not about material things. 23, 24, and 25 are about how we can do anything, yet most people end up as druggies doing nothing.

In the video (2:28) for this verse you mainly see views of different countries, once again i believe this to be about how America seems to ignore a lot of the needs of other places, that or how they wish they could live somewhere else, and be away from all of this. You also see him holding and examining the skull, directly viewing all the unjust killing thats being done. You then see him burning a 1 dollar bill. This is not like in most videos where the rapper is flaunting all his money, rather this shows that in the end money means nothing. Also, that they are relatively poor, as he is only burning a 1. After that, he see the other rapper counting money, showing how obsessed our culture is with money.

(3:12) to the end of the refrain is incredibly important. it shows Micheal Jackson doing something seemingly impossible, then to the rapper holding the skull up to his head, with a "I know whats going on" sort of look, then to Heems counting the money, then quickly to Micheal Jackson and the other rapper, people of another country, then the rapping holding up his hands in confusion.

He gives us the "i know whats going on" look to show us that, well, he knows whats going on with all the killings, then to the money to reinforce that our country is obsessed with money, the other country to show that other places have no money, then the confused look is as if to say he doesn't know why people do it either.

Then, it begins to rain money, and the first scene you see with the raining money is at the table with all of the people in charge, and Micheal Jackson. then it shows you scenes of the rappers bathing in money, showing them that, if they do as the leaders say, they can have all the money they want.

(3:30) to the end of this refrain is probably the most important. You are shown lots of flames, and behind the flames comes the image of the cross, which then fades away. After that you are shown scenes of war through the fire, which then, of course, fades away. After all that, the man dancing in front of all of it, rips his shirt off in apparent rage.

This is showing things that were caused be greed. Religion, once was more powerful than the king, and it was richer than him too. War, now days is always caused over some form of greed. Then he rips his shirt off because he's son angry that all of this is happening.

Third verse:

Lines 1-7 refer all to egoism. They talk about how they are better than everyone else. 8 i believe refers to sex once again, and in 9 he is expressing his anger towards all the people in charge.

The last bit of the video (3:44-4;45) you see the three people featured in the video as poorly drawn Simpson characters, possibly stoned, zoning out in front of a T.V. On the T.V. you see them rapping, then to the two rappers in a contest to who has a better body. The video then switches to a man sitting, supposedly naked, in front of a camera. He then morphs into another person. this repeats until the end of the video.

This shows how people don't do anything other than zone out on T.V., not thinking, just soaking in all that they see. The body contest refers to how everything is sexualized, especially on T.V.

The body morphing part is very important. It shows that, everything that happens, effects everyone.

Credits:

The credits seem to have some importance to the meaning of the video as well. It first shows a man hugging Micheal Jackson, then Micheal feeding a dog, then at the very end, shows Micheal Jackson, sitting alone, looking very sad.

I believe this to be Das Racist showing how Micheal Jackson, in the end, must of felt very bad for what he did (him hugging the man) and wanted to apologize to people. Them feeding the dog shows that he really was a kind person. Finally, him sitting alone shows how we are all alone in the end.

Keep in mind, this is simply my opinion, i very well could be wrong, however, if you do see a different meaning to all of this, please share, im very curious.
June 22nd, 2012 at 05:35am