Thoughts On Allstar Weekend

My thoughts on that whole video where Zach is teaching us how to drink whiskey properly, their new albums, and using explicit words are how they’ve always been. It’s a very large change and I understand that, but I think after leaving Hollywood Records, Allstar Weekend can finally become who they want to be and whom they’ve always dreamed of being. The reality it was that 22-year-old men, (I seriously need to stop using boys xP) just weren’t going to get huge with Disney. Don’t get me wrong; it was perfect for them to start out on. It really was, but this step was one that needed to be taken. But regarding the swearing in “Buzzed” and probably some newer songs as well. That’s them. That’s Zach and Michael and maybe not so much Cameron, but they’re 22, they’re going to swear. I mean, how many of you swear on a regular basis? The getting high reference in “LAWKI”, well, there’s a lot of references in songs, but it’s new and different and the direction that they want to go in. As for the drinking, they are of age. I don’t really see what the problem is with people drinking in public so long as they are over the legal age, in which case, all five of them are. All five can drink as much as they want, whenever they want, even if that means on stage. Not that I’m saying that’s the best time, but they can.

Zach admitted to being uninterested in getting totally wasted, but he does drink. So what? I’m sure that most of you have tried some type of alcohol before you were the legal age (if not, good for you!). I get that they are changing and as scary as change is, it has to happen at some point. It really does! Zach, Michael and Cameron can’t go on with their careers releasing songs about what they were releasing and writing back in high school. It is younger and they want to be older and respected from a variety of different people. They’re getting to older fans and on the radio! I mean, that in itself is really exciting, but it’s not something that might have happened if they hadn’t made some of the decisions that they have.

One of my other favorite bands had formed after the break up of another band. The three of them got together and started writing an album and released it later that year. They swore and had some interesting things going on, but no one really picked up on the album. Earlier this year, they released their sophomore album together and one of the singles on that album has been used in various commercials, TV shows, is on every radio station, and is that one song that you know and it gets stuck in your head. But none of this could have happened if the lead singer didn’t call the guitarist, and close friend, and fly from Arizona to New York within the week.

I’m in no way, shape, or form suggesting that Allstar break up and form new bands to reach the 88 million views on YouTube. But what I am saying is that the leaving Hollywood Records is similar to the lead singer finding his friend and forming a band. They left something that was holding them back and are trying to find their way. They are going to get there, but fans should not be leaving the fan base because Zach is chilling at a bar and telling fans that they can come and see him, but you can because you’re, a. underage, or b. on the east coast.. We should be there for them all still! I understand that they are losing younger fans, this could be a good thing though, I won’t have to watch out and make sure I don’t step on one on accident at the House of Blues, but they may have to for the sake of their band. They lost fans when they came out and said that they wouldn’t date anyone unless they were 18, but again, that’s just the law. They should be able to do what they want, when they want, how they want, whenever the hell they want to do it without losing fans. You’re a fan of their music, personality, looks, and decisions. If they decide tomorrow that this tour, they’re going to wear Brent costumes on stage, as scary as that might be, we should support it… or at least still show up to the concert. They can do whatever they want to do. They’re not 18; drinking, having sex, and making a music video with half naked girls is acceptable, believe it or not. We should really be supporting them now, especially where they are unsigned. They have to pay for all of this themselves. So when it comes down to picking five half naked girls for their music video, that’s what they want and just leave it at that. If they pick an asshole for a director, then so be it, but just know that dealing with that asshole and his friends are the only way we’re going to get a music video.

I don’t really understand why people are getting really mad and upset over alcohol references and swearing. Maybe it’s because I’m older and grown up with parents who have parties where people are drinking and it just seems abnormal to see 22 year olds not drinking, but I just really believe that. Songs on the radio right now are pretty much about not giving a fuck or drinking, let’s be real. That’s popular, but they don’t have to follow it. Guess what, they are! And like it or not, it’s how I foresee them continuing on. It’s going to be weird to see them jump right into this, but people grow up and as they grow up, interests change and the adapt to the age that they are. Allstar has changed and adapted to their new environment. I personally think that if they want to drink and get wasted, then they should go for it because they can. If that is how they want to live life, I’m not saying I’m for it, but I’ll support them. They don’t need to lose fans now, when they’re just starting to break out of their little shells. They need us more than ever now, especially with a new sound. IDGAFOS was a bit of a change, but maybe that’s the sound that they are really looking for and if it is, guys, we need to support them. We’ve loved them through Tom, Ben, Nathan, Hollywood Records, R&S Management, Suddenly Tour, Suddenly Yours Tour, Experience the Magic Tour, Glamour Kills Tour, We Own the Night Tour, and All The Way Tour. We’ve been there through Journey, the original one! Submarine Warfare, Bitching, damn, All The Way, Suddenly Yours, Suddenly, drinking references, and now we need to be there through “fuck” and “shit” because that’s where they’re going. They may not be for younger fans (which could be a good thing! I don’t have to worry about stepping on a young, short, fan at my next concert) But they’re going different places and exploring a little bit.

This is like their freshman year. Let them explore and figure out who they are and who they really want to be. They’ve been in middle school too long and now that they’re independent, they need to figure out where to go with their music. Give honest feedback, but no hate. If you don’t like them cussing and drinking, then I’m suggesting you hit the unlike or learn to get used to. It’s who they are and that’s what I truly believe.
June 29th, 2012 at 01:29am