History is hard! Easier to memorize for a test than to write fiction with it!

Have you ever been so fascinated with a particular topic that you want to write a story just because of how much you love it? For me, I've always adored the history of the Silk Road. The story behind it is so interesting that I feel there would be so many was you can go with it in writing.

But the thing is the Silk Road is not just a road. It's more complicated than that, and I'm not an expert at it. I guess I can just make up stuff and no one would be able to detect it. But I don't want to do that; I want to preserve the truth in my fictional writing. It's just a shame (and it makes me extremely guilty) to invent some nonsense that did not happen just to make it easier on myself.

I've had this idea relating to the Silk Road for a long time in my head, but I didn't dare attempt to write it because I'm afraid I going to ruin it right from the get-go. I feel like no matter how much research I invest in, I still won't be able to truly capture the essence of it. You have to be there and able to go through the experience and taste and smell everything. It's one of those things that you can never comprehend unless you've been there yourself. I guess I was born centuries too late.

But hey, I'm sure the Silk Road makes the perfect backdrop for an adventurous story.

Do you have similar experience like this?
July 2nd, 2012 at 12:05am