I'm not feeling this new city. Everyone is in everyone's business.

If any of you read my last post, I moved to a new city/town. It's tiny, 20,000 people or so, and everyone knows everything about everyone else. I'm not one to talk about my personal life, or what's been going on, or anything. But, somehow, my neighbors know more about the family I'm with than I do! You tell them one thing, and they ask questions that don't seem very personal, but they'll connect the dots. It's fucking weird. I feel like they're spies of some sort.

I love the house. It's two floors, three if you'd count the basement, and 13 rooms. The neighborhood is pretty nice, too, at least it's nice looking. The people are really, really weird. They don't like you if you don't tell them your life story.

One of our neighbors, the one across the street, invites herself in all the time. She'll be standing at the porch and knock on the door once, just once, maybe twice. If no one answers right away, she'll open the door and stand at the landing. There are stairs going up and stairs going down when you open the door, and she'll be waiting right there. If it takes extra long for us to notice her, she'll take her coat off and put it in the closet, put her shoes away... In her mind, this is okay.

She's not a threat, or anything. She's just odd. We have the door locked every second of the day, now. Unless she tries breaking in, no one wants to even call the police to report odd behavior, and I think it's ridiculous. We're getting a security thing installed on Monday, though, which I think is a new extreme, but they're paranoid that other people may be like her, only worse.

I feel safe. I don't feel like these people are in their right mind, but they're of no threat. I'm not feeling this place, though. If we could take the house and put it in a new city, I'd be perfect. I can't complain still, it's better than the last house and city.
July 6th, 2012 at 06:39pm