Being Left to the Flood (story review)


Being Left to the Flood by Daydreamer09


For those of you who didn't participate or see my contest, Being Left to the Flood by Daydreamer09 actually ended up placing first, which was a surprise to some people. It was based on the picture that is linked in her description.

The story follows a young girl through much of her life as she struggles to find love while also balancing her popularity. This story's main focus is her view of her struggle for love as well as her brother's physical struggle for love. Toby, the narrator's (Valerie's) brother, is homosexual she learns. It surprises her and it horrifies her that people could be so mean to her brother for such things.

Most of the problems with this story were solely grammatical. Most of the grammatical errors revolved around direct address, which could easily have been a simple forgetful mistake on Daydreamer09's part and certainly not something to dismiss this story as nothing over.

The characters, over all, are realistic and relatable, even to those who might have never gone through anything like this whatsoever. It's a gorgeous experience to watch Valerie and Toby grow up and find their ways in the world together. It really allows the characters to grow on a reader throughout the length of the story.

This story is highly inspiring. It calls for someone to truly analyze their own relationship with a significant other. Everything is wrapped up neatly like a birthday present and given to the reader to do with it what they will and take from it what they want as well as finish the story the way they think it should be finished--though, it can be determined from the tone that the intent was to have Valerie and her long-time boyfriend break-up. Maybe, though, they don't in the reader's version, and that's okay too, because the story ends in the way chapters in life end, there's always another chapter that begins with a decision and maybe that chapter isn't always what one would expect to find.

It isn't surprising that Being Left to the Flood won overall, at all.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves a good, romantic, and dramatic teen story.
July 12th, 2012 at 04:29am