Fanfiction Writing Meme

I'm totally not procrastination... ::shifty:
But this looked interesting, so I'll do it! :D

1. How about a brief introduction of yourself?
I'm Icamane and I've been writing since 6th/7th grade. I started out writing fanfiction, and it's still my favorite to write.

2. And what got you into fanfiction to begin with?
In 6th grade, one of my friends found FullMetal Alchemist fanfiction, and then we all sort of got into writing stories about our Naruto characters, so that's where I discovered it. Though, when I was little I would play Harry Potter and I had my own characters and stuff, so I had always wanted to write down the stories.

3. What kind of fanfiction do you like to write?
All kinds. Crack!fic is the best, AU's are a close second. My fandoms are just Harry Potter and My Chemical Romance, but I have written in other fandoms from crossovers.

4. Do you tend to write the same pairings/characters? Or are you a fandom whore?
With HP, yes, because I pretty much just have my set characters and who they're with and stuff. But with MCR, I kind of just pair people up according to what's going on in the story. My OC for that fandom, Anette, pretty much goes with anyone xD

5. What is your most popular fanfic and why do you think people like it so?
Either As The Sister of Harry Potter or That Stupid Little Red-Headed Twit. The first one, I have no clue, other than I guess it's interesting. I personally like the sequel better. The second one is because I've never seen another fic like it, and I do think it's written pretty well. So there's that.

6. Forget other people...what is the fanfic you've written that you're most proud of?
The Crumbling Pyramid, without a doubt. It's completely character driven, which is what I love to write, and everything flowed so perfectly when I was writing it, and then again when I re-read it. I love the message I have and how all the characters developed and it was based off of my second favorite MCR video. Also, the layout is pretty xD

7. Do you find writing easy? Hard? What are the most difficult aspects of writing?
It depends on what I'm working on, really. When I have the motivation and ideas, writing is so, so easy, especially when I can just jump on WriteOrDie and bust out a couple thousand words in a few hours. But when I have to force myself through it because I'm trying to set a deadline or I'm completely lost for ideas, it's so hard. What's difficult for me is making myself just sit down and write everything and staying focused. I'm too good at solitaire and mahjong, because those are my main procrastination tools. For fanfiction specifically though, I always try and do the characters justice, and that can be hard sometimes. Like, I've never felt completely satisfied with the way I write Dumbledore. He never seems to be the Dumbledore I know and love in the books, and that bothers me.

8. Write a few sentences or so of your favorite pairing or character.
I love my OC Anette for the MCR fics, especially when she's with awkward!Gerard xD I dunno, she's just so... borderline slutty and forward and pretty and it makes Gee all hot and bothered and it's cute ::lmfao:

9. Are there any fanfiction trends/cliches that you're sick of?
Mary Sues, but isn't everyone?

10. Are you guilty of any of these? Or have you committed other crimes?
Of course I have xD I made it onto pottersues once, but thankfully I only made the bad rating. I consider this an accomplishment.

11. What was the first fandom you wrote for? Do you continue to like/participate in it?
Naruto. And no, I don't write in it anymore. I really want to re-watch the anime, though. I kind of miss it. But I did get my handle from there (Icamane), so I haven't left it completely.

12. Name your OTPs or most frequently written pairings/characters and explain what it is about them that you love to write.
According to the posters on my wall, my OTP is Sweeney Todd/Chuck Norris ::file:
Oh, and don't forget Batman/Robin and Tony Stark/Steve Rodgers.
I haven't written any of these, sadly xD No, like I said, I love writing Anette and Gerard. They can be super awkward or super sexual, and it's fun. I like awkward and sexual ::naughty:

13. What would you call your writing "style"?
Super straight-forward and character driven. I don't write flowery at all, and sometimes I confuse even myself of where this thing I call the "plot" is going. But it's fun and how I operate.

14. Do you read other people's fanfics? If so, what do you find yourself reading the most?
YES xD I've been totally stuck on Avengers fics right now (specifically Tony/Steve ::shifty2:), but I also read MCR fics a lot. I can't bring myself to read too many HP ones, because of the sheer mass of bad ones out there. But when I find good ones, I'm all for it.

15. Name one thing you'd LOVE to write but haven't yet.
A good slash. I've never written like, an actual slash story. I've hinted at it or included it in the background in some stories (most notably Crumbling Pyramid), but it's never been a focus. I dunno, I guess I just like my OC's too much. But one day...

16. Do you have trouble taking criticism? Or worse yet, do you have a really bloated ego?
Oh my gods, me ego is so huge ::lmfao:
Um, it depends, mostly on how it's worded or if I think it's valuable. I'm always open to it, but I've received very few pieces of criticism that have made me think and want to fix something. I'm not talking grammar/spelling/tense fixes, 'cuz that happens all the time, but like plot or character stuff. I very rarely fix something like that off of someone else's suggestion, but when I find it, I secretly love it because I want to be the best I can. Especially with my OF's.

17. When you write is there anything that helps? Music? Quiet room?
For pretty much everything serious that I write (chaptered fics) I have a playlist for it. I like writing in my room, and chai or coffee is good. I also love writing at this coffee shop that I haunt. I feel like I can focus better there.

18. What inspires you?
Everything. But for fanfiction, it's usually either music or the characters themselves. Almost all of my fics were inspired by something they said, or a music video, or a song lyric.

19. Lastly, how would you sum up your fanfiction experiences and yourself as a writer?
Heartbreaking at times, but fun overall. Fanfiction has helped me grow so much as a writer, and I don't know what I'd do if I ever got published and the company told me I couldn't publish fanfics on the internet anymore. Probably do it anyways xD I mean, for every OF idea I get, I probably get 10 fanfic ideas for whatever fandom. It's a... problem?
July 14th, 2012 at 08:26am