BE CAREFUL WHEN READING, I MIGHT "OFFEND" SOMEONE.

No, not really but this is a strong opinion of mine that I need to put out there. (no hateful comments please)
Let me start off by saying I'm what they call an equal-opportunity offender. Who is 'they'? I have no idea, but basically I will joke about anything and everything as long as I know it's funny. In my mind, the only person to never offend is someone with a gun. But the jokes I make can sometimes be... I guess not racist but 'un-PC'. Which is where my story begins.
On Friday, I was at a youth group I go to weekly. I was just sitting around and talking to my friend about this one teacher in my school who is assistant director for my school's musical. For the sake of simplicity, let's call him 'Boo Radley'. So I was talking about all the little inside jokes that he started and there's this one where he calls himself the Nazi of my school because he's tall, loud and can be incredibly mean when mad. So I mentioned this to my friend and I said, "Yeah, we call him Mr. Nazi!" I started laughing because, well, I know him and he takes his title very seriously. But this girl (whom I don't even LIKE) overhears me and is like, "Excuse me?!? What did you say??!" And I repeated it without a problem and she goes of on a storm. "That's so offensive and rude to everyone!! Now apologize!"
Okay, first, to who? You're not Jewish, nor is anyone in this room. And second, why? How is that offensive? Who am I offending? The Nazis? Well I hope not! They're being compared to the almighty Mr. Radley. They should be grateful. And third, no. That wasn't offensive. The textbook definition of offensive is "causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry". No one was upset or angry because no one besides me, you and my friend heard me! The two of us laughed and you were easedropping, so mind your own damn business. The term Nazi describes my teacher at moments perfectly. I'm not saying they were good or right. I'm using the word to describe my teacher's personality!
And this wasn't the first time I've had trouble with her and my 'offensive comments'. The very first time I met her I wanted to rip her a new one. (Backstory: So the youth group I go to is a GSA group and my friend is a VERY out lesbian) This takes place between me, my friend and this bitch. My friend and I are talking about our celeb crushes. And start scene!!
MY FRIEND: I love Jennette McCurdy but she's totally straight.
ME: But you could totally turn her, right?
MY FRIEND: Yeah, I'm that drop dead sexy!
*We share a laugh*
THAT BITCH: What?? You can't 'change' someone's sexual orientation. That's a terrible stereotype and I've worked too hard to fight for gay rights! You two are terrible people!!
(not really said but thought) ME AND MY FRIEND: ..... Um, I need to find some ice cubes to throw at you because you need to CHILL THE FUCK OUT!!
End scene. Yeah, WTF?! Is she *that* thick to think we were serious?? And again, MY FIREND WAS THE LESBIAN!! I'm sure that wasn't offensive if the actual gay person wasn't offended! And the entire youth group tells gay jokes. They're all over the place. So why attack us when, again, YOU WEREN'T INVOLVED IN THIS CONVERSATION!!!!!
I don't find these things offensive just because the punch line is about something that's risque. That's not offensive. It's like what happened with Daniel Tosh. He was at a comedy club and started telling rape jokes. Some lady in the audience called out "actually, rape jokes aren't funny." And he said, "You know what would be funny? If you got raped right now. Wouldn't that be funny? If 5 guys just came out and raped her right here?" Actually, no Daniel. That wouldn't be funny. It went from you're telling a joke to you're wishing bad things onto someone. And I don't even know if the jokes were any good, but that raises the question where the line of comedy should be drawn. What constitutes funny from offensive? To me, there is no line. If it's funny, it's funny, no matter how bad it might be. Like dead baby jokes. You say oh no, but you say it between laughing really hard.
Long story short: There is a huge difference between telling a black joke and saying "hey, you know what sucks? N****** because they're all f******." Because that's a direct insult at someone personally while using terrible words. Plus, that's just not funny. And I'll get a million and one different sides on this. Like people have different tastes in humor, or some people will take offense to these things. Yes, but if we take away all these offensive jokes, we're left with a safe, clean world. And this can be related to my previous entry, Glee is trying to be PC by not showing gay couples showing PDA's or being alone together in private because some people might take offense to showing gay teenagers alone together on prime time. Does that make it right ? Should they do that just because a few people might get offended? I don't think so. There's dozens of viewpoints and races and other things out there but being so damn PC about everything isn't going to help. Someone will find something wrong with everything, so just calm down about it all. Treat every human being the same way you want to be treated. If you don't want an offensive joke thrown your way, then don't make them. However, if you're like me and don't care, make a dead baby joke. Then laugh at other people's misfortune when they feel bad for laughing.
~Adrienne
July 15th, 2012 at 08:35am