Senior. Stressed. Overachieving.

Okay... first blog entry ever. Things were on my mind so I decided now would be as good a time as any to start a blog.
I'm fixing to be a senior, which is exciting, yes; but at the same time I'm just ready for it to be over. Halfway through junior year, our administrative board informs the entire junior class of the changes being made to graduation, effective immediately. These changes include things like... in order to graduate with honors, you have to reach the set benchmarks for each subject on the ACT, (GPA is apparently no longer important); to graduate with distinction, you have to accomplish one of several "distinct" things, such as attenting a governor's school, successfully auditioning into an All-State music program, making a 31+ on the ACT, scoring an average of 3 on at least 2 AP exams... blah blah.
Now, the tricky thing about this is that AP scores aren't recieved until the summer... so the AP classes you had junior year were it! You either made the threes or you didn't. AP classes your senior year wouldn't count toward anything.
Okay. Now you have the background... so you can see where I'm coming from.
I managed to meet all the benchmarks on the ACT the first time I took it, which gives me definite honors. I made a 3 on the AP Psychology exam my sophomore year... and I only had one AP class my junior year: AP Language and Composition (also referred to as "Comp 1"). This exam was my biggest chance of getting distinction... test day comes and goes... I get the results.
"AP Language and Composition: 2." Do I really need to tell you how terrible I felt? I was so dissapointed. I'm not one to blame others... I know 100% that I could have worked harder in that class. As for me and my classmates, we all agree that we weren't completely prepared, but what can you do?
I'm stressing... hardcore. I'm so driven to be "remembered" that I've planned to take the ACT a billion times so I can (hopefully) get it up to a 31. But, my mom said something that really made me stop and think. Her words of wisdom were "If you do get distinction, that's fine and dandy... but 20 years from now, no one is going to remember, or care for that matter, that you made a 31 on the ACT."
She's totally right. No one really even cares now. But I'm the type of person who pushes themself to be the best... to be recognized. Is that so bad? I don't think so. But what I do think is bad is that I'm getting completely worked up about it. Senior year is supposed to be the best one... but right now things are looking down.
This was probably the most boring thing to read... ever. Sooooo, sorry. Hopefully the next one will be more entertaining. :) hahaha
July 15th, 2012 at 09:10am