Female VS. Male

In many places and situations I often see males trying to show how strong and superior they are to females and I see women trying to prove themselves to men. To show that they can be just as tough and just a strong.
This past week has started the marching band season where I live, all the freshmen have learned how to march and the memorization of music is well under way. So is an argument in my tuba section: Should we wear the shoulder pads or not. None of us have ever worn them in our marching band because well we want to look manly and strong. If another Tuba section saw shoulder pads on our sousaphones, they would laugh and make fun of us. For the first time in my marching in the band we have two female tuba players. They both are marching sousaphone, a fourty-five to fifty pound instrument, and they are kicking butt. They are running forty yard lines, marching with no problem and fantastic posture, making it look good. They never fall out of the block, they never take breaks to put the sousaphones down. Our band director spent good money on the pads because we have females marching. The guys in the sections refuse to wear them, because of that we aren't sure if the females should wear them or not for uniformity reasons. One of the girls brought up the point that she has broken her collar bone twice and ripped her rotator cuff, on the side the sousaphone sits on. She also did research and learned that female collar bones are shaped different, are smoother, and smaller than male collar bones. When bringing up that argument the guys started to make fun of them, calling them pussies. She came me saying that she feels like she needs to prove herself, that she shouldn't wear the pads so that she can show them up, show them she's tough and every bit as good as we are but that she doesn't want to injure herself or damage her body.
I don't see why they have anything to prove, they are doing better than a few of the other tuba players when they started. They are good players and they are already marching well. They have different requirements because of their body. That doesn't make females "worse" than us.
And the males in the section need to stop making fun of them and tearing them down, they have worked hard to convince our band director to let them march, once has been begging & learning & paying for private lessons for three years before she finally got to march tuba. We should be supporting them, helping them out, not making fun of them because they are physically built different which is something they can't help. These girls are doing something many men and women can't do in our band. Out of one hundred sixty people, only eight people can actually march the tuba. Our drum major is a huge muscular dude and he can't even march the sousaphone.
Females and male have many differences but that doesn't make one better than the other. Some girls are stronger than some guys. Some guys are weaker than girls. There will always be someone better than you regardless of gender. Ladies, you shouldn't have anything to prove to us, you all are impressive just by being yourself. Stop worrying if you stronger, smarter, or better than some male. And men, stop trying to show off, show up, and tear down girls. Gender doesn't determine how good you are, it might change how you have to do things or things that need, but it doesn't change the out come.
July 20th, 2012 at 04:47am