Oregon now and an adult

So I moved to Oregon after graduation. Everyone always tells how hard it is to be an adult and to grow up. Don't get me wrong, it is really hard. You have to learn a whole new level of responsibility that you never knew you could have. In comparison to living with your parents, though, it's not that bad.

One thing's for sure, the independence is fantastic. I don't really answer to anyone anymore. I am my own person and I do what I want within reason. It's pretty awesome. For instance, if I want to (and I have in the past), I can stay out until 3 in the morning. All I have to do is be quiet so I don't wake my roommate. But I don't have a curfew or any of those other paternal boundaries.

The relationship with my mother, however, has taken a beating in the move. She doesn't understand why I moved up here. In all honesty, I don't really understand why I moved up here. I just... needed a change I guess. It wasn't done to hurt the people I love; contradictory to what they like to believe. I did it to be my own person and finally do something big just for me.

However, ever since I've gotten here, the growing up part hasn't been that hard. The trials i have faced come from others refusing to grow up. I'm 18 and I act more mature than they do sometimes. It's ridiculous. I've been met with nothing but soap opera drama after soap opera drama scenario. Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of it. I don't do anything to anyone. I go to work and come home. I don't go partying or to hang out with friends. I don't have many friends; but I like it that way. I prefer to be alone most of the time anyways.

But that was just an update to how my life has changed. I have less time for stories that ever before, but I'm trying to make time. I just need to try a little harder.
July 20th, 2012 at 05:54pm