My thoughts on the death penalty, etc.

Today on Facebook, someone posted a status about how people should be put to death rather than us paying for them to be put in prison and then get out on bail. It was in reference to the shooting at the Batman movie last night. Now, before I get a little off topic, I want to say that I agree that the death penalty should be used more often than it is. Putting criminals in prison doesn't really do anyone any good. But I do believe that everyone who commits a crime should be given the chance to get help. There are people who have problems, they know they have problems, and they end up doing horrible things because of those problems. We are all human. We all mess up, and what it all boils down to is that a sin is a sin. A mistake is a mistake, big or small. There are criminals who end up getting the help they need and they go on to live decent lives after that. Now, don't get me wrong, there are also people who are just downright evil. They don't want help from anyone. Those are the ones who, I believe, should be put to death rather than being put in prison. Mass murderers who will never stop being bloodthirsty (for example). What else can be done about them? We have to do what we can to keep people safe, and putting these criminals in prison isn't going to change them in any way, or make them sorry for what they did. That's why I believe that everyone should be offered help; a second chance. And if they don't want a second chance, then obviously prison isn't going to change them either. I'm starting to repeat myself now, so I just want to say one last thing: I wish people weren't so critical towards criminals. Once again, I understand that certain criminals are different than others. Some of them truly are evil. But I'm not talking about those ones. I'm talking about the ones who messed up and want help. For example, a robber shooting a cashier at a store and then fleeing. Or a man who was abused as a child who ends up abusing someone when he gets older. I hear people talk about them as if they're animals, and that they deserve to die. They don't. They deserve help, and I firmly believe that.
~ insideoutface
July 20th, 2012 at 11:07pm