Raising Children Again

My brother, who is 35 or so years old, is moving back into my house. With his two kids that are like 7 and 9. I really don't know if I can take this.

My brother is kind of flakey. He moved out when he was around 18 to go live his life and jumped around doing this and that until he met the mother of his kids. They had kids, got married, then lived an okay life. Then once they got into some money, his now ex-wife got a drug problem, was arrested for robbery, and now she's in jail while he's raising kids alone. He was doing okay, until he lost all his damn courage. Worked for a company that refused to pay him for all the work he did, dropped his very badly behaved kids on me for daycare, and went out and partied with his girlfriends. Now that he's gone almost broke, he's moving back in with us, and I'm going to be his main baby sitter.

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, or the person my brother used to be before he met his ex-wife, but he's just gone so far down hill that I don't want him here. I understand that he only needs to live here because of the kids, but I honestly can't stand them. They're obnoxious, needy, and really snobby.

I just got out of high school and was about to start my life; get a job, get some money, and just go on with my life. But now that he's moving in with his kids, I won't even have time to have fun. He'll be working, my mother will be working, and my dad is gone half the day getting drunk somewhere, so raising these kids will be my job. And I don't want it.

When I was only 10 or 11, my sister had to come back down to live with us because she had gotten pregnant at 18 and couldn't support her son with where she was living and wanted to give her son a chance at a better life. So while she finished her last year in high school after dropping out, she would leave him with me and I was forced to grow up and raise a baby. Raise a baby when I was a baby.

I don't want to raise two more children. Especially when they're older and they've already developed their horrible personality. I wouldn't mind taking care of them every now and then, but they'll be living with us and I won't be able to get away. I didn't sign up for this, but I have to deal with it anyway.

Hopefully I'll be able to smile again soon, because right now, I can't take it.
July 21st, 2012 at 04:08pm