I have a huge issue with buying tampons.

It's not that I'm necessarily "embarrassed" about it. Every woman has a period and every woman has to buy feminine products at some point; it's nothing to be ashamed of. While I have no problem walking around the store holding the little box, I have a huge problem with going through the cashier's line.

First off, I don't want to be in a young man's line - I simply don't want him to ring me up thinking "Cute girl, but, ew gross, she's bleeding from her vagina right now." Chances are, boys don't actually think that at all because they're only concerned with earning their $7.50 an hour paycheck with minimal effort, but my girlish mind convinces me that they think this way and that I must avoid showing the male population that I have any sort of gross bodily functions whatsoever. Ideally, I am for young female cashier because chances are she buys the same exact thing once a month and therefore understands my tampon anxiety.

Having the right cashier isn't my only anxiety. I also become incredibly conscious of my box count. It's cheaper and more convenient to buy the huge box with like 96 or so inside, but I don't want the cashier thinking to herself "What kind of girl needs 96 tampons? You can't possibly bleed that much. The 16 count will do just fine." And don't even get me started on buying pads - it's no less embarrassing, and then you have to worry about the length and absorbency.

I just hate buying feminine products. Period. (No pun intended.)
July 22nd, 2012 at 12:40am