Do your part to save the scene and stop going to shows

Since October, I've been pretty much living on my local music scene as a photographer to the point where it's weird if I don't go a gig at one of my local venues on a Friday night. Fans and the regulars to the two local venues (even though everyone knows I hate one local venue and only attend shows at it if bands ask me to and guest list me) know me, most of the local bands know me and so do their families/girlfriends/boyfriends.

So you can understand how upset I was when on Saturday night, my boss George's grandson sent me a Facebook message telling me how crap of a photographer I am and how the venue I hang and get free entry too all hate me and only feel sorry for me.

I'm a sensitive person who takes stuff like that to heart and will over think it. So, me being Abigail-Louise, I decided to post a status about it and well, that kid is now band from the venue.

But, the thing I want to tell you all about is how not only regulars and casual people at the venue either commented on that status or sent me a private message about it but also how one incredibly popular local band had a member comment on it and several other bands either messaged my Facebook, called me or even popped into my work today to make sure that they know how much I love me. Never before have I ever felt like I actually mattered on my local music scene as I do now thanks to all those bands that care enough to make sure I'm alright.

So, unlike what my Fall Out Boy title might suggest, do yourself a favor and go to a local show the next time an opportunity comes up. You never know, you might discover like I have that your heart belongs on that scene and never want to leave.

My Facebook page is Abi Simpson Photography if anyone is curious or would like to make an opinion of their work for themselves. And please, if you check out my page drop me a comment on their - positive or negative, I would love your opinion.

-

Every time I blog now, I'm going to post five Facebook links to bands either local to me [you'll guess if they're local to me or not if you seem my photos on their page], bands I've taken photos of in the past or bands you should just check out. I decided that. I'm sticking to it.

White Clouds and Gunfire
The Narrative
Napoleon
Just Surrender
Centre Excuse
July 23rd, 2012 at 03:20am