Where Dragons Fear to Land

My dream begins in a faraway village atop a high, luscious hilltop. The people are kept from civilization so they don't know what threat is bounding up the hill towards them. But once they know, the screaming starts. I can feel the panic in my sleeping state. Cut to a woman hastily tying up her young daughter's jacket, entwining a circlet of roses in her hair and dropping a single drop of her blood on to the child's foot.
"Keep this with you. It will bind your power and hide you from everything. When you're older run to the World Below and wash your feet in the stream at the bottom."

Fast forward a few years and a woman with roses entwined in her hair (and thoroughly washed feet I might add) is chasing through a metropolitan and militarized area that has built up around this hilltop. Magic has disappeared save for a few 'Rose-Wearers'. They collect together on occasion and attend the military classes. But this woman (I never learn her name) breaks the pact that the other 'Rose-Wearers' have said and accidentally comes to the defense of a child being bullied by the teacher. And when the army captain looks at her he doesn't quite place her. The moment he looks away, he doesn't remember she was ever there.
This woman gets the idea in to her head that she can change the way things are in this new world. She can bring magic back. She can bring back the dragons.
(At this point I hadn't known about dragons but once I thought of them it felt that they had always been there.)
So she runs to a mountain whilst the other 'Rose-Wearers' protest loudly all along the path but never physically move to stop her. She summons a dragon.
It lands, roaring its demonstrations, "Dragons no longer belong here child! We cannot come back - humanity will not welcome us. Do not call again."
"I will end it. I will bring it back."
July 27th, 2012 at 12:36am