Today is my 18th Birthday

So today was…well, still is my eighteenth birthday. I’ve had mixed emotions about this day all year. On one hand, I have a lot more freedom now; I can legally drink (not that I’ve ever had any desire to), I can finally purchase my favourite rated R movies at HMV, I can go into tattoo shops without needing parental permission to get inked. Being eighteen has its advantages.

But today, as I was running late to my birthday “party”, I wanted to run away. I wanted to turn my truck around, throw the cake and pizza and the fact that it was my birthday all out the window. I just didn’t care anymore.

I woke up this morning not feeling any different, nor the expected feeling of excitement. I laid in bed for about an hour after I woke up, just thinking to myself how different things will have to be now. As everyone has anticipated, or I guess expected would be the proper word, that I’d be going out and drinking until I lost all recollection of who I was, I came home and had pizza and cake. At my “party.”

I have no choice other than to accept that I am officially an adult now, and I guess that’s okay. It’s really no different from how my life has been recently. Rapidly maturing. Losing sight of my childhood that I believe died a long time ago.

Eighteen. This is not how I thought my life would be up to this point.

Oh well I guess.
July 27th, 2012 at 06:01am