"Another Year at Hogwarts" -- Clearing Things Up

Hey my "Another Year at Hogwarts" readers!

First, I would like to apologize to you--my reader--if I confused you. Thanks to my reader I-Don't-Care, I've come to realize that I've probably been confusing the heck out of Harry Potter fans with my usage of these three terms: Muggle-born, Mudblood, and Half-blood.

Muggle-born : A Muggle-born is a witch/wizard who is born to TWO non-magical parents. (Ex: Hermione, Lily, Violet)

Mudblood : A term FOR a Muggle-born; it's an insult and a way of informing Muggle-borns that they are the "beneath" half-bloods and pure-bloods.

Half-blood : A witch/wizard born to one magical parent and one non-magical parent.


Now that we have established what the definition of these words mean, I will go on to explain their meanings in my story "Another Year at Hogwarts".

So, on many occasions, Violet--as Victoria--refers to herself as a Muggle-born . Violet keeps referring to herself as a "muggle-born" because that's what she is in the Harry Potter world. Her real parents are non-magical. She over looks this tiny bit of information when talking to others, however--like Snape (which doesn't really matter because he knows who she really is anyways).

In reference to other people (Voldemort, Draco, Narcissa etc.), Violet--as Victoria--is a Half-blood . To them, she is the daughter of Scarlet Angel (witch) and a muggle.

As for Mudblood , there are one/two meanings when it comes to Violet/Victoria. When other people call Violet/Victoria a Mudblood, 1) it's their way of poking fun and looking down upon her for not being a pure blood. Since Mudbloods are below everyone in the blood-status hierarchy(?), it's the only insult towards a witch/wizard that I could really come up with that was appropriate. Second, Violet/Victoria has no actual proof--other than Snape's words--about who her parents are, so people (like Bellatrix and other Death Eaters) call Violet/Victoria a "Mudblood" not only to insult her, but also as their own way to express their doubt in her lineage.

So, there you have it! I hope this cleared up any confusion between the terms and their usage in my story. Once again, I apologize for any confusion that may had risen because of these terms. I hope that this little blog entry would help clear things up for you. If ANYONE has any other questions or have things they would like cleared up about the story, please feel free to message me and ask. I'll do my best to reply with an explanation as best as I can and as quickly as I can.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post, as well as "Another Year at Hogwarts"!

Gaojou
August 5th, 2012 at 08:06am