Magazine's aren't always right!

When ever I open a magazine I see skinny women. I personally read ‘woman’s world’ a magazine that comes out weekly. Inside this magazine is normally a section about a person who has lot weight or tips on how to do so. There are recipes and suggestions for your health. But one thing that upsets me the most when I look at a magazine weather it is ‘woman’s world’ or when I see my niece reading a teen magazine. All of the women inside and on the cover are all skinny. The world is not made up of skinny sized people so why are they the only ones put in most magazines? If I were the one making these magazines I would include people of all shapes and sizes, races, sexualities and more; they would reach out to a bigger audience by identifying better with their readers.

How do these magazines interfere with the younger generations? When they look at these magazines they see people who are made to look ‘perfect’ in the public’s eye. Are magazine creators helping our youths by showing them stereotypes and having such a minuscule horizon? Kids see skinny women and think ‘to be perfect I have to look like them, because that’s what everyone else likes.’ Wrong! ‘To be perfect I have to have this specific skin tone, these clothes or even this amount of makeup.’ Wrong! Kids need to be taught that they look perfect just how they are. They need to be taught to be confident in who they are and not drug down by their peers, telling them that those specific things are in the now and that’s how they should be.

Kids need to feel secure with who they are; they don’t need to wonder what they need to become to be what magazines show them.
August 11th, 2012 at 03:29am