Female Characters: The Good, The Great, The Ugly

Let's face it. All girls get excited when they see a book with a female characters, especially if it appears that they are one of those kick ass characters. There are countless books in the world, that have created a world of female characters that many girls can relate to, but everyone once in a while, girls- including myself- want a character who can kick total ass. Heartbreak? Fuck it, they can deal with it. Alone? They prefer it. Tears? Ha, as if they had tear ducts.

Because I have fallen in love with so many wonderful female characters, I decided to write about a few that are truly noteworthy, and a few who just down right suck. As many awesome girl characters that exists, there are of course those terrible, needy, girly characters who always need their asses saved. Really ladies, get it together for the rest of us.

Starting at the top of my list for favorite female characters, is Arya from the Eragon series. Now if you have never read this wonderful cycle of books by Christopher Paolini, I highly suggest that you do. They are absolutely enthralling, and the world that Paolini creates is like nothing else. Now, back to the real bad ass here, Arya. Arya is a eleven warrior, who so happens to be a princess. Not only is everyone in the world created by Paolini obviously scared of her prowess, but she's skilled beyond compare in the series with magic. Arya is not the typical romantic character though, even when it is clear that there is a connection between the she-elf and Eragon. Arya puts her duty before everything, and many times in the book, gives Eragon such a cold shoulder, it is a wonder he didn't get frostbite. Through the story, it is clear that Arya is one of the strongest characters in the series, never showing her emotions, letting her wisdom lead her, and letting her duty as a warrior come before anything else, even her title as a princess.

Introduce bad ass numbero dos: Hermione Granger. If you thought I wasn't going to put her on hear, you need to reevaluate your life and standards. If you expected to see her on here, you go glenn coco. Hermione Granger, is without one of my favorite characters of all time. Not only is she absolutely brilliant in her work ethic and use of her mind, but she is strong willed beyond anything, and she knows true sacrifice. From the moment we meet Hermione, it is clear that she is an underdog in everyone else's eyes, simply because she is a muggle born. Perhaps her "ill lineage" is what sparks Hermione's determination to study every inch of the wizarding world, but she does so with absolute fucking finesse. From the moment she shows her knowledge of lore, spells and even potions, Hermione is pretty much half the reason that Harry Potter is so successful. It was by no mistake that he was a good wizard of course, but let's face it- who do you honestly think would win in a duel? Hermione would, of course. As if her power and her intelligence isn't enough, she overcomes barriers like no other female I've seen. In love with a boy who has no idea, okay, Hermione can deal. Watching him with another girl in the sixth book? It's cool, she's still going to help Harry. Watch the love of her life walk out on her, leaving her with a shattered hear? Doesn't even blink. She's still going to fight some bad bitches, because she's Hermione fucking Granger, and nothing in the world will stop her from doing what is right.

Hey there, kick ass female number three. I don't think I need to argue very much when I get onto the subject of Katniss Everdeen. Besides the fact that she single handedly supports her family after her fathers death, not only sacrificing herself by putting her name into the reaping for extra tessere and putting her neck on the line to hunt, Katniss is obviously a stubborn, headstrong character from the beginning. She is not messing around when it comes to her family, and even though the worst thing in the world happens when Prim (her sister) is chosen for the gory Hunger Games, she steps up to the plate, ready to do whatever it takes to save her sister. And because emotions are too mainstream for Katniss, instead of crying about her pending doom, she tells her mother straight up that she needs to kick her moping shit to the curb and step up to the plate and take care of her sister. The fact that she insists repeatedly that for her mother, it isn't a matter of "won't" anymore. It's that she "can't" keep living the way she has been. So let's fast forward shall we, in which Katniss is obviously Legolas from Lord of The Rings incarnate. She tears up the game with a bow and arrow, and remember that for a long time at the begging of the games, she doesn't even have a bow and arrow. She has bees, and she uses her smarticles to her advantage. Of course, Katniss shows wonder in the other two books as well, but I won't go into that. It is obvious that overall, Katniss here is a total bad ass.

Now simply because I chose those three to do in to detail on, doesn't mean there are not other awesome female characters. To name a few, there is Rose Hathaway from The Vampire Academy Series, Annabeth Chase from the Percy Jackson Series, Clary Fray and Isabelle Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments and many others than I cannot recall at this point in time.

And now, with all great characters of the female race, there are always those that ruin it. Whether it's because the character in question is too weak to fight for themselves, or they cannot seem to make any coherent decision, or because they down right lack anything interesting, noble or noteworthy, bad female characters exist, and if you are a fan of Bella Swan, you better get away while you can while I point out every single one of her flaws.

Bella Swan. Boring, awkward, with no particular talent except taking strange, unneeded breaths and pause. Really, no creature in the entire planet is as awkward or bland as Bella Swan, except maybe... I don't know, blank paper? How is it, that a character who things that she is so unattractive is seen by every boy in this town as some gorgeous human being? I'm sorry, but if she really was as pretty as these boys make her out to be, I'm near positive that she would not think of herself as homely in the sense that Bella does. In addition to Bella's poor characterization, it is obvious from the get go that she is socially inept. She really should get it checked out, because someone her age should not have such a hard time fitting in, especially when she is apparently gorgeous. Of course, I say this knowing that people do in fact have this issue in real life but attribute it to a problem they've always had. Bella has no such issue, as far is shown. Now because of these traits, we hope that maybe Bella will develop confidence or at least not be a total wimp when it comes to Edward in the next few novels. Nope, she remains weak until she turns into a vamppity vamp vamp. Why couldn't she be that strong as a human girl? Why does she need to be a super natural creature to be self providing and defending. It's offensive.

If Bella wasn't so socially awkward and unable to make friends properly, I would totally wish her to meet Zoey from The House of Night Series. Unlike Bella, Zoey seems to be pretty brave, and has awesome abilities in the vampire world. Zoey is not all in all a bad character, for girls are able to relate to her boy struggles... that is until she has like 5 different boyfriends going on. It is absolutely ridiculous, the amount of boys that she has hanging around her and falling in love with her. What did you think, just because she's the main character, we wouldn't call her a whore? Cause that's kind of what she is. Not only does she have the human Heath in love with her, there is also Eric, Stark, Vamp teacher who sleeps with her, Kalona the evil angel from heaven (because that makes sense) and now this god awful, strange Aurox kid, who is a demon with feelings. In the first few novels, she really struggles to bounce in between all these damn boys, and I guess even though she's with Stark as of the last book, Aurox is some how going to be in the picture, which pisses me the fuck off. We get it, that she's powerful and beautiful, but you don't need to make her out to have all these boys dangling from her fingers. It's pointless, and does not add to the effect of the story besides the fact that it makes her look promiscuous.

Last yet not entirely least, is Ever Bloom from the Evermore series. Of course we all feel sympathetic for the horrid car crash that ever survives, but I cannot say that she was a character that I liked. She is self pitting in the beginning and likes to drown her sorrows in alcohol. Now let me say this- I fully understand that some people do this in real life because they have no other way out, but the way she is portrayed, Ever drinks because she pittys her life, rather then drinking because she is sad. She tries to block out all these weird little psychic powers she has, which, most people in their right mind would find interesting and try to figure them out. In walks dark handsome guy, who fast forward, has to save Ever's ass from the crazy ex girlfriend. Throughout many of the books, Ever is an annoying character who cannot understand that everything dark and handsome aka Damon, does, is for her. She likes to meddle, and often her meddle truly screws her over. I liked the novel itself, but the idiotic mistakes that Ever makes really pisses me off, and that's not even a valid reason to dislike her, but it's how I feel.

So there you have it.
August 13th, 2012 at 02:05am