Why We Love One Direction

I bet that half the people readying this little introductory line of mine, came here hoping to find some mindless, little fan rant. Well, zip ya trap, because though I am a fan, I have arguments and a brain to back me up. And if you disagree by the end of my examples and arguments, kindly fuck in the direction of off.

So let's get this shindig rolling. One Direction, the British/Irish boy band from the lovely UK, has hit it big. They make girls across the world scream, cry, faint, swoon, bat their eyelashes and lose their goddamn minds. Aside from the fact that they are five ounces of incredible, delicious sex appeal, each member of the band is surprisingly very able to hold their own in the wonderful art of singing. If you think that's easy, I want to see your ass do it, cause it's not.

One Direction infection is the term used to describe this mass frenzy that surrounds this band. Their music, albums, concert tickets, and pretty much the air they breathe, is chewed up and swallowed whole by eager girls, and even some guys across the world. Why is the question many people ask. How is another questions asked, and what for is another.

There are many reasons why, people, including myself, love the boy band. Hey, here come reason number one walking through the door: they are hysterical. For anyone who has watched interviews on TV or the wonderful Internet machine, they are a blast to watch. From the get go, you can tell that they are as immature as any other boy on the planet, and that they will not take a serious tone just because they're being interviewed. They go in there, answer some questions, and not a single fuck was given. Typical life of a teenage boy.

That brings up another reason: they seem to be absolutely honest about who they are. From the very beginning, they have been more up front than anyone would have expected about things, whether it was Harry admitting that he has a horrible habit of getting naked, or that his favorite movies are in fact love movies and not action movies, or whether it's Zayn admitting that he is fully committed to his religion, although he gets a lot of conflict with that particular subject. The boys of 1D seem honest, and every girl in the world practically faints at honesty. Proven fact, fella, take notes. And if you don't take notes, live like the forever-alone guy. Also with honesty, it is no secret that these guys are sensitive to an extent. Hell, most of the fans have seen Harry cry on the special done for them, simply because of the horrid things that people said about him after he preformed his first solo. Since when was a 16-year-old boy not allowed to cry? Just because he doesn't do it all by his lonesome in his room, he has to be hated for it. Good job fucking up, society, but last time I checked, I'd rather date someone who feels than date a human Popsicle.

Aside the fact that they are devilishly good looking, have accents that are just delightful, and have personalities that are simply charming, the boys also win love from fans simply because of what they are: a boy band. It is not a simple theory, that boy bands are amazing and has brought a hectic girl mania along with them- it is a fact. Girls love boy bands, and love the idea of them. Obviously, if you have seen the reaction around Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Boys 2 Men and 98 muthefucin degrees. The difference between a boy band and a solo act, is that you have five personalities to choose from, so basically, there is a boy for every type of girl. Maybe the cheeky, forward guy isn't your type, like Harry. No problem, you can fall in love with the quiet, artistic Zayn. Boy bands are not successful just because they are good looking, or because they have songs to make you dance; they are successful because they give fans options of who their favorite is.

If you thought I wasn't going to mention music, don't worry. Sure, some of the songs are cookie cutter, make you want to dance, typical boy loves girl. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and truly, what is to be expected from a group of 18 year old boys (save Louis)? You cannot expect them to sing about the deep woes of love, something that they are far too young to understand. That would be like Selena Gomez singing Whitney Houston- weird as fuck, and not that she could ever sing Whitney, because she does not have the vocal stamina for that. The cutesy lyrics, and the sing a long kind of music are perfect for girls growing up. And even though many of the lyrics are the typical sort, there are a few songs that are worth noting, such as Moments and More Than This. The lyrics are a huge part of a song, I would be lying if I said they weren't, but sometimes, lyrics don't make a song, the feeling and the simple melody itself does. That being said, the music and lyrics that these boys sing and put out, really do make girls feel good about themselves. People always make fun of What Makes You Beautiful because it's one of their more popular songs, but it really has made some girls feel beautiful. Obviously they aren't talking to any one in particular because it's a song, but for those few minutes of that song, girls feel like they have the potential to be beautiful, and if that is a crime, send them to prison. Making a girl feel beautiful in this day in age, should be a GOAL, not something to be hated for. Another lovely attribute to our screwed up society. We're doing great, yeah?

As for the fan base. In the original version of this blog, I pointed out all the annoyances of the fan base, because there are some true crazies among Directioners that exist. But after someone pointed out, and after thinking about it, I have realized that although many people say that the reason they don’t like One Direction is because the crazy ass fan base, it’s hardly fair to blame the girls. Don’t get me wrong, the over reaction is there, and I think it’s absolutely silly for people to go off on someone in a store because they say they don’t like the boys- I have seen this happen. But the relationship that the fans have formed with these boys, is that of a protective, loving care. Obviously fans do not own the boys, but the boys do owe a lot to their fan base, who stand behind them no matter what they do. It is amazing, to see how quickly someone will defend One Direction when in truth, they don’t know them. But the point is, they feel like they do know them. Somewhere between watching them on X-factor, watching interviews, listening to their music and just seeing their faces and stories, fans have connected on an intimate level with these five pop stars, and they are willing to defend them too the death. So yes, maybe there a few a that need to calm down, and that maybe there is a fine line between fan and crazy, but the point is, it’s because fans feel like they have invested themselves in One Direction, and there is no crime in that.

Now to the haters. If you have a valid reason for not liking them, such as they simply are not your taste, that you don't find the lyrics good, you don't like the back round music, or simply because it's just not your thing, fine. But leave the boys alone, for the sake of us all. Stop saying you hate them because they're gay, or because they suck, or because they're ugly. Just because they are a group of tight knit friends, who given, show affection more than the average guy, does not mean that they are in love with one another. The fact that they are so comfortable with one another goes to show that they aren't gay, because most guys struggling with sexual preference, shy away from other guys and fear contact with them. So stop saying that's the reason, because it isn't, and even if they were, it shouldn't matter. Homophobia is something that isn't fair, and should never be an excuse to not listen to music. Guys can like One Direction too, it isn't a crime. In fact, one of my guy friends, who is as manly as they come, loves What Makes You Beautiful, simply because of the 'na na na' part.

There are probably way more things that I could go on about, but I can't remember what they were. I started this simply because I saw some crazy ass fans on instagram, and I noticed for the millionth time, that people really do not understand the conundrum that is the one direction infection. I've tried my best to describe why people like them, and if you still disagree and dream of their pending dooms, fine. Go sulk in your own little mind of hatred. But leave their fans alone, and to you crazy ass directioners, leave non-fans alone too, that way we may all live in peace and just listen to music, no matter what it is.
August 13th, 2012 at 10:49pm