I Pretty Much Have the Coolest Job Ever

So those who have known me for a while know that I was in the Navy. Well I got discharged back in March, and am now officially a Veteran. My job now is freaking awesome though. I work in the warehouse for a company called Upstaging Inc. The company builds and distributes lighting for concerts, shows, etc. I've helped build stuff to go on tour for Rod Stewart, Korn, Jennifer Lopez, Enrique Iglesias (SP?). I work right now in the cable department where we supply the cables for them to power the lights, build the wiring how they need it and stuff, and some tours we've done (at least since I've started working there) that I'm sure a lot of you will know the artists: One Direction, Coldplay, Jason Mraz, Christina Perri, Kelly Clarkson, the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, Def Leppard, Fiona Apple, and we always do lighting for WWE. In fact, there was recently a pyro incident on a WWE show, and some of our panels came back as a melted mass of when pyro goes wrong on WWE. XD We also did Radiohead's recent tour, and if any of you heard about the stage collapse, we got some of our gear back all smashed up because of it.

Our people go on these tours to set up the lighting each night for these shows, and that's something I can't wait to do with the company. But here's what excites me: Our company has a contract with one of my absolute favorite bands ever: Avenged Sevenfold. Can you put two and two together yet? A7X are currently on break before writing their new album, so they obviously won't be touring for at least 2 years. By that time I hope to be doing shows, and if I can go on tour with A7X to do their lighting...that's it, my life is complete.

For real, I freaking love my job. It's busy though, especially during the summer. How busy? In the past 8 days I've worked a total of 88 hours. Wed-Friday of last week it was a cycle of wake up, go to work from 8:30 am till almost 11 PM, come home, shower, sleep, and do it all over again. The warehouse isn't air conditioned, and the midwest has this crazy heat wave for about a month straight where it was above 90 degrees. Part of working for a transport company is that we also load and unload the trucks that our gear goes out on. Picture a 90 degree warehouse, a metal trailer that's been sitting in about 100 degrees of blaring sun all day. Yeah, those of us who have the balls to stay in the trailer to flip stuff that's stacked, we come out of them dripping sweat in places we didn't know we had. It's exhausting, yes, it's a lot of hard work, constant on the go, heavy lifting, but I haven't been this happy in a long time.

Lastly: if you're a teenage girl who listens to One Direction, don't throw your bras at them with your contact information written on them, because the group doesn't get them, and they get sent back to our shop where most of us just make fun of you guys...sorry to say it, but it's the truth, and this is how you guys get stalked by creepers.

And now I leave you with this random note: Go listen to Three Days Grace's new song "Chalk Outline" It's totally effing amazing.
August 14th, 2012 at 04:42am