A Lifestyle of Waiting

So I've been off school for a couple of months now, and I've had no work, no obligations, no pressure and more free time than I will probably ever have again in my life. And what do I do with it? I wait.

Does anyone else do this? 'Cause I don't know if this is normal, or if I'm really the only one. But I just spend so much of my life waiting. During the day, I'm waiting for the evening, because the evening is when I'm most productive. During the evening, I'm waiting for tomorrow, because tomorrow I'm doing something slightly less boring and mundane than sitting in the house all day. During the week, I'm waiting for the weekend. In school, I'm waiting for the end of the day. All through the summer, I've been waiting for August 18th, because that's when I'm going on holiday. And I know that the moment I go back to school, I'll be waiting for my birthday; waiting for that concert I'm going to in early November; I'll even be waiting for Christmas.

This isn't healthy; I know that. One day, I'll look back in despair, asking why I didn't do more with my young life and why I willed so much of the time away. Sure, I see my friends, I go shopping, I go to the park when it's warm and sunny. But in reality, there just isn't that much to do. So even if I'm out with friends on Monday, I'll spend Monday morning waiting for Monday afternoon, and when Monday afternoon comes, I'll quickly get sick of my friends' conversations about people I don't care about, or TV shows I don't watch, and then I'll be waiting for Monday evening. And then on Tuesday, I'll sit at home, bored, wondering why I didn't make the most out of my trip out the previous day, and waiting for Wednesday.

So does anyone else do this? I think I would feel more comforted if I wasn't the only one; if what I was doing wasn't that weird, but rather just...human. It won't mean that I've wasted any less time, but at least if everyone else does it, the amount of time I've wasted is only normal. I'm the sort of person who likes to constantly be busy, so whenever I'm not doing anything, I feel like I'm wasting time. That may account for why I'm feeling like this. I like to think I have a few hobbies I can easily do at home - writing, painting, playing piano, reading...but that doesn't change the fact that I feel as if I'm only doing most of these things for the sake of not being completely bored. So what does everyone else do when they're bored?
August 15th, 2012 at 12:43pm