A rant about religion.

Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion. The freedom to leave or discontinue membership in a religion or religious group —in religious terms called "apostasy" —is also a fundamental part of religious freedom, covered by Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. - Via Wikipedia

Now, here's what running through my mind at the moment, if we as Americans have freedom of religion why in the fuck is it forcefully shoved down our throats on a daily basis? Tell me exactly why that is... I dare ya!

I recently read a story about a high school graduate (A freaking valedictorian at that!) who is being prohibited from receiving her diploma because of her use of the word "hell" in her graduation speech. That little bit of news has my blood boiling. Scratch that! My blood has been boiling all weekend due to bigots trying to preach the gospel to people who were calmly minding their own business, not saying a word back other than a pleasant "no, thank you" to the man as they walked past and into the gay pride festival I was volunteering at for the weekend. My blood has been boiling because of the TRIO of bigots who were pestering a homeless woman, making her feel terrible about herself, into finding God. That made me snap... At them.

Let me just say that I'm not one to bash religion. If you're religious, then, right on dude! More power to you as long as you aren't trying to convert me or shove your beliefs down my throat because I could really care less about your higher power! Live and let live is my only belief. Well, not my only, but I'd hope that you understand what I mean.

I find that the fact the "freedom" we have in that specific area is a lot more limited than it should be. Time and time again I've heard people complain that prayer should never have been taken out of school, and that's exactly what one woman said regarding the valedictorian, and that's ridiculous because not everyone believes in the same God despite what the majority of the Christian faith wants. I think it's ridiculous that we have money plastered with "In God we trust" or that we have the phrase "One nation under God" in the pledge of allegiance knowing that there is more than one faith in this nation. The ignorance and disrespect some people have for other religions disgusts me and I'm about ready to hole up in my bedroom and never come out.

I just... I can't even... So much frustration >.<
August 21st, 2012 at 12:21am