Discourage to Encourage? I Don't Think So!

What the hell? Is all I have to say. I don't think it's right to put on blast someone's work. We all know how hard it is to put our selves out there! Constructive criticism is one thing but to sit there and pick apart every single thing that you don't like about someone's story (plot line, characters, writing technique...etc.) is past the point of constructive.

I recently read a few blogs and comments that have made it known that they don't like certain things, such as people's personal visionary on their characters. They continue to go on and say that they don't like certain plot lines, which I understand I like creativity myself but to go out of your way to make sure everyone knows tha you don't like certain things, just rubbed me the wrong way.

I get not everyone's the same, which is why I try not get so upset when I see some people's comments. I personally don't like to say anything bad about the story, if there is something I don't like I tell them in a more subtle approach.

I generally find something good in every story, and if I don't I don't leave a comment. Because my mother taught me to keep my mouth shut if I have nothing nice to say. But when I see the hurtful and quite stupid things people dislike about other author's stories I feel bad.

So I tend to go on a rant for those, who can't speak for themselves. A story to me is like a child, you watch it grow and as it grows you grow as a writer. I look back at my old stories and I'm like "I can't believe I actually wrote like that." and giggle because of how stupid It sounded. But I'm still proud of it because I had the balls enough to put it out there even though it was amateurish and under-developed.

Because at the time I was under-developed and amateur, but I wouldn't delete it. I don't care if it was cliché or my characters were emo/scene. It was something I had the courage to put out there, It's mine and it was something to learn from.

My writing has definitely improved since my first stories, my characters have as well. But I enjoy using scene/emo characters because I hate the norm. I don't like my characters to look like someone you would see on the streets every day. I want them to be someone to stand out someone to remember.

However I'm open to reading stories whose characters aren't like mine, unlike some I've seen on Mibba lately. I just think it sucks that people go out of there way to diss other people's work. I feel for those who get their hearts crushed because of someone's cruel words.

An attack on one's story is like an attack on one themself.
August 22nd, 2012 at 10:32pm