Suicide / Depression / Eating Disorders / Self-Harm

Listen, everybody has their opinion on suicide and depression and eating disorders and self-harm.
Well, here's mine.

I do not believe that suicide is a selfish act. And due to the fact that I'm not religious, I don't believe it's a sin.
I mean, think about it. Can you imagine how absolutely worthless someone has to feel for them to think that being dead is the only way out?
Well, I can. Without professional help, I thought that everyone besides myself was being selfish. Why would someone tell me to not kill myself when all I do is feel miserable? When I don't even remember the last time I was happy? When I'm constantly teased, and put down, and treated badly. How could you want me to live through that constant torture?
I'm not trying to say that I think people should just go through with suicide. What I'm saying is, I can relate to their way of thinking. And if you really want to help someone, you get them professional help.
You have a friend telling you that they want to die? DO NOT TAKE THAT LIGHTLY. Get to a trusted adult, tell them, get your friend help before it becomes something serious. Sure, at first they'll probably beyond p*ssed at you. But in the long run, they'll be really greatful that you saved them. Most people who survive a suicide attempt, say that at the last second, before it was almost too late, regret doing it.
Let me get back to the main point. It's not selfish. To a suicidal person, it's the only way they can see that would makes things better. It's so hard to see the fact that people care about you when you have more people who don't care.

Now, as far as a depression, IT IS NOT FOR THE WEAK.
Depression is a real medical condition. It messes up the seritonin levels in your head and make it hard to be happy. It takes over every part of your body. You're constantly tired and sore and you just want to lay there doing nothing.
When you're diagnosed with a mental medical condition, it's hard as hell to deal with. You start to think that you're abnormal. You wish that you could be just be happy and not so messed up in the head. But for those people who can come to terms with it, that takes a lot of guts. I will always respect someone who can deal with depression.
I know first hand that it's the hardest thing for some people to deal with. Espicially if not on medication. I have depression and that's why I was suicidal for so long. I was never on medication. But now I am and I know how to control it.
If you think you have depression, or if you think you know someone with depression, GET THEM HELP. I cannot stress that enough. Professional help is always the absolute best thing you could do for a person.

Eating disorders & self-harm are not a cry for attention.
Have you ever looked in the mirror and felt physically sick because of the way you looked? Have you ever just saw fat and ugly and fat and ugly and fat and ugly and that's all you could think about the way you look?
It's hard to deal with. People will go to the ends of the earth to fit into societys definition of beautiful. That's why they starve themselves. All they want is to be beautiful. They want to love themselves. But once it's gone too far, they'll never be able to stop. They'll keep doing what they're doing because they never think they're skinny enough. Even if they are skin and bones, that's not enough. They're still fat. They'll never be able to believe someone who tells them that they are beautiful.
It honestly sucks. I've went through anorexia, and I've got lots of friends who have too. Someone forced me into therapy, and I've forced friends into therapy. And as much as you hate it, it does help. I always that my therapist was so stupid and ignorant because how would she know how I feel? She's not me, she's not my friend, she doesn't know my life. So how on Earth could she help me?
Well, after I had a break down and opened up, everything got better. I was able to let her help me. If you know someone who is refusing therapy, get it through their head it would help. I don't care what you have to do, give an ultimatum, whatever. They may get mad at you, but once they get the help they need, they'll be thanking you.

Self-harm is done for a bunch of reasons.
My personal reason is because I wanted to be in control of what I was feeling. I wanted to control the amount of pain I was feeling. I wanted to take my life into my own hands because I hated feeling out of control.
I have friends who do it because that's the only way they can feel better. They just have so much built up in them that cutting is their imediate release and they just feel better.
It's not attention seeking. It's just someones way of getting their emotions out. And most of us are ashamed of it.

~
What I'm getting at is this.
Stop acting like you know everything about everyone.
Truth is, you don't know sh*t.
August 31st, 2012 at 02:14am