Keeping It Together

We all have different ways of dealing with things. Be it grievance, stress, depression, heartbreak or what have you - everybody copes differently. Some people lash out in anger, some people revert into themselves, and some people - the people I truly admire and aspire to be - take it on the chin and keep their positive mental attitude strong.

I, however, have a different way of dealing with things that go wrong in my life. I suppose you could say that if my fight or flight response was to kick in, I’d choose flight. I have a tendency to change things - everything, in severe cases. I’ll try to distant myself from the situation, and once I’ve done that, my renovation begins. Usually, it starts with my hair - I’ll change it drastically - but this time, it started with my bedroom. I’ve redecorated it entirely - paint, furniture, the works. After that, came my social life. I began patching up friendships I had previously neglected, and began trying new things. My new phone number came next, as I wanted a clean break and a fresh start. And, for once, my renovation has ended with my hair. Blonde, I’ve decided, is going to be my new shade (I’ve decided that my non-existent auto-biography is called Fifty Shades Of Blonde, Red & Blue).

I think I’ve done quite well, what with staying positive. Blows like this - they take time, and an awful lot of effort to get over. But you get there in the end - some people take longer than others, but hey, slow and steady wins the race, right?

Deal with things at your own pace, and in your own way. If that means screaming to the sky at the top of your lungs - then do it. Anything to release that anger and upset. Let it go - believe me, I know that it’s easier said than done, but just try. You never know - it may come to you easier than you anticipated.
September 2nd, 2012 at 09:21pm