I feel like I owe it to my dedicated readers...

To my dedicated readers and commenters of my stories, here is a full, long explanation as to why it feels like 293879234 years between updates.

Feedback: This is not the biggest reason, though it does play a slight factor. I enjoy feedback on my stories-just like everybody. I may never get to be one of those legendary writers who has 100 commenters per update and over a thousand subscribers. In fact, I'm content with the readers and subscriber numbers I get. It just bums me out when I have 160 people subscribed, pulling 60+ readers per update and I get five (if I'm lucky) comments on an update. Sometimes if I get to thinking, I start asking myself "Why bother since nobody will read it?" I write for you guys as much as I write for myself.

Inspiration and motivation: Pretty much right now I'm suffering from a severe case of writer's block. I have five active stories, and for three of them I'm at a point where I'm asking myself "What the hell am I going to write to make it interesting and long enough to where my readers don't get bored?" I have to be in a certain undistracted mindset to write also, which hasn't happened much lately. I always get the motivation to write at the absolute wrong times-usually when I'm at work. I'll be honest: I freaking hate it. I've always wanted and strived to have pre-written chapters for when this happens, and lately, I haven't and I'm upset with myself because of it. I've been posting upon finishing with the exception of one story that has a few pre-written chapters left.

Work: This is the biggest reason. I work a full time job with normal hours from 8:30 am till 5:30 pm. Those are the NORMAL hours. If we're swamped, we stay until the work is done (IE: I've worked from 8:30 am till 1 am a few times), and if we're even more swamped, we work mandatory weekends. A few weeks ago I worked 80 hours in seven days. This past week has also been one of those weeks, and I only had Saturday off. On a normal day when I come home, I do other things and don't even get to sit and relax until after 8 pm. Lately I've been so burnt out on work that even when I come home at 10 pm, shower and get into bed, I want to fire up my laptop and write, but as soon as I start typing a sentance, I instantly begin to doze off. As soon as my body begins to relax after a long day of work, boom, I'm out.

New Ideas: Like probably every other writer here, as I've been working on a long ass story that I know I just need to finish, and as I'm working on my other stories, something in my mind sparks new ideas that I try to jot down and start on. IE: I have a chapter and a half written to a brand new story that I have absolutely no title to, therefore I can't make a layout/banner, so that's still a ways out from being posted. I've also been wanting to re-write a few of my old stories, but haven't opened the one I've been working on in a while.

Other: There are other things I do in my free time, like watching movies (which I try to write while doing so since I watch them on my laptop, but usually get distracted), and I've bought a few new video games that I've been playing a lot of. I know these aren't real reasons, but hey, I'm being honest. I've also been reading a lot more to try and improve my writing. Last night I had planned on writing for something, but instead got lost in a book for two hours before I had fallen asleep.

Well this is about all I can come up with, and I'm sure offers a deeper explanation than a two sentance author note after each chapter I post. I can't apologize enough for my lack of frequent updating, and I can't thank those few dedicated readers and commenters enough. I'm hoping that I will get out of this phase and get into a regular story schedule. Until then, I can only beg you guys to bear with me and know that my stories will be updated eventually. I really want to shoot for a once-a-week schedule, and that's my eventual goal.

And to those who read this because it appears on your "my mibba page" and haven't checked out any of my stories: Please feel free. :) [/shameless self whoring]
September 4th, 2012 at 03:51am