Cinquains and Quintets. Anyone wanna help?

So this semester I'm taking Creative Writing. I figured it would be a good class to start the day off with since I already write and stuff. Except we're starting with poetry.

Don't get me wrong; I love poetry. But I don't like being given a format and then being told to write in it. I feel like it's too restricting, and then it's not really poetry, you know? I'm just not a big fan of structured poetry, I guess.

For this first assignment, I have to write five cinquains and three quintets. They're due tomorrow and I haven't started yet. Not that it will take long to write them, but I honestly just have no idea what to write about.

I have to structure them like this:

CINQUAINS
1 word: noun (topic)
2 words: adjective, adjective
3 words: gerund, gerund, gerund
4 words: phrase showing action
1 word: synonym

QUINTETS
(an event poem)
3 syllables: WHEN the event happened
5 syllables: WHERE the event happened
7 syllables: WHO performed the event
9 syllables: WHAT happened
3 syllables: analysis of the event

So they aren't really that hard. I just have no idea what to write about at all... Anyone got any suggestions? For the cinquains, I need one of them to be about a person, one of them to be about a place, and the rest have to be about objects. I prefer to write about random objects, but everything I look at just comes out wrong in words.

This is killing me because I'm completely stuck and I know I can do it, but I honestly just have no ideas.
September 5th, 2012 at 03:18am