Where I was during 9/11...

I will never forget where I was, and what had happened on that day....
I was 11 years old and still in elementary school when 9/11 happened. I remember waking up to what seemed to be the usual morning line-up: Me and my brother wake up around 7:00am to eat breakfast, and then promptly get ready for school. Though as we were finishing our breakfasts, and dad suddenly yells, "WHAT?!?!?!?!" We all ask what happened, he didn't say anything as he turned up the radio on the counter as the radio host was yelling that the first of the Twin Towers had gone down. His voice was almost in a panicked state as he was trying to describe what was happening. Both my parents had sat down and were sobbing. Being at the age I was, I didn't quite grasp the concept of what was going on and what had just happened to make the radio host, AND my parents to act as they did. As we were walking out the door, with the radio still on, before the door shut I could hear the radio host screaming, "OH MY GOD!!!!!.....THE SECOND TOWER HAS FALLEN!!! OH MY GOD!!!...."
That day at school was probably the gloomiest day that I can remember, for all the teachers were in shock and trying to do their jobs as teachers. All the kids were just as confused as I was, and didn't know what to think or how to react to all the adults acting the way they were.
Later after school, both mom and dad explained what had happened, what the Twin Towers were and the importance that they held, and that many people had died that day. Both had a hard time trying to keep from breaking down into a sobbing mess as they told us. Being given the details on what happened, I was confused as to why anybody would attack in such a way, and shocked that this was all happening.
Being 20 now, I understand fully what has happened, and what was lost. I still cannot believe that this happened. Watching any footage of the event, I think it alien when I see two large Boeing passenger jets fly into the side of the Twin Towers, then seeing what were at the time the second tallest buildings in the world collapse into ashes...
May this day never be forgotten, and may my blessing go to the family members, and everyone one else affected be with them on this day as the anniversary of 9/11 approaches...

-Nathan
September 11th, 2012 at 10:00am