Trying to be supportive

Tonight was concert band, which went pretty dang swell with the exception of one thing: A friend of mine, whom I just happened to have a crush on, was very depressed. Usually when it comes to be break time for the band to rest their chops (band term for resting their vital parts to play their instrument) she comes over and we chit-chat. But today, she placed her horn down and stood in a corner facing the wall. I knew immediately something was wrong, so I wander on over and say hi. She barely glances and me and lets out a sigh.. Indeed something was wrong, but what?
One thing you have to understand about me, is when any of my close friends are depressed, or upset about something, I feel like I need to help them get through whatever they are going through any way possible. So naturally, I ask whats wrong. When she said nothing, that wasn't good enough of an answer. I ask if she wanted to talk about it, and she shook her head, and wiped a tear off her face. After a short time had passed I asked if I could do anything to help. "Probably not" she replied, "It's complicated." "I'm a good listener" I said, and gave her a comforting smile. Again, after a little silence she started talking. I'm not going to go into details of what the matter was, for that's her personal business and I don't have the right to gossip about what's troubling her.
After her saying what was wrong, I tried my best to give her some good advice, and give some possible suggestions as to what she can do to make her feel better. Towards the end of what I had to say I told her that she is an amazing person and that she is a very smart, and talented person, and that I am here for her and always will be, and that I am here to help in any shape or form at anytime.
Right about that time, new music was being handed out and people were sitting back in their seats and warming up to continue the rehearsal. So I placed my hand on her shoulder, and said to think happy thoughts, and that it's unhealthy for her to think down upon herself.
After rehearsal was done, I walked her out to her car, and she seemed a bit better, but still very down. When I got home, I wrote an email to her telling her that I want to stay in contact, so I gave her my phone number and all that jazz, and a second part that's meant for moral support. Here is what it said:
"I know you are going through some hard and complicated times, but these are the times that you need all the support you can get to help you muddle through it all, and I really want to help however I can because I really hate to see ANY of my friends, especially you, act like this. I care for you, honestly. And I want to do my best to help you through this and be there for you."
I just hope this message is received with well thoughts, and that she will take all of my offers to help her through this. Only time will tell now, and I was a tad nervous writing that I cared for her truly, for I had never said anything like that to her before.
Until next time,
Cheers!
-Nathan
September 12th, 2012 at 09:35am