Adventure's in Literature class....rant.

Today in my Literature class we discussed the poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.

And we had this big long discussion about the media and how they present erotic attraction through television and how it is different from back in 1917 when there was mystery in attraction because it wasn't common for women to dress in short skirts and low cut blouses and throw themselves at men to get laid.

And my mind is shaking at this. I mean the media describes teenagers as these sex-craved, drug abusing, rebels who never go to school because they partied all night and would rather sleep all day then get up and make something of themselves. And television shows like "Teen Mom" and "The Real World" are not really helping.

Making television shows that support the view on teenagers isn't helping us prove that we are not that crazy and that we can be responsible. I mean when I was 15, I had to BEG my mother to let me go to a movie with my best friends alone with no parents.

She was afraid we would get into trouble.

Why? because the views on children today have seriously changed from what they were 20 years ago. How can children go from being the weakling of a family, to parents saying "I don't care" to "I don't trust you."

I mean it's going to get to the point where we won't be able to get out of bed because our parents don't trust us.

The media has seriously changed our lives and and altering views not only in society or in culture but in personal lives. It's scary to think about what will happen next.

Any thoughts?
September 17th, 2012 at 09:21pm