Past obsession with Criss Angel, Mindfreak + The class magic show; a very proud moment

I was very tired nearing the end of class today and realized where I was alone reading in the next room my classmates were laughing and having a good time. I am alone at school, in a sense, and it's weird that I am OK with this. It goes to show how independent I have become aside from how I was this time last year. I can go to school and interact with these people when I am discussing things with them or cooking with them for our nutrition class, but in the end I have nothing in common with them and I am not afraid to admit that and spend time on my own enjoying myself.

First it made me a bit insecure, they all have these things in common. They all party and do drugs and the teachers continue to ask them if they've known each other before coming to the school because they act so close, but they've only just met in the past week or so.

I think I've come to a decision that I'm happy with this fact, though. Last semester I had many friends at the school (they've all moved along, I go to an alternative school and you are only allowed to stay for two semesters) and I almost didn't get any of my credits. But now that I have nothing to distract me I can focus on my work and do well and get much more done, even if it was more fun last year when my class was like a second little family to me.

On a different note I've also had a craving to watch Mindfreak for the past two days, and I don't know how that came about. When I was a bit younger I used to be very into magic and illusion, and I had a mild obsession with Criss Angel and his illusions and his stunts that he did. It affected me pretty well, and I guess since then I've always carried it in the back of my head -- how cool would it be if magic truly existed? Illusion was good enough for me. I didn't ask questions, magic was very real to me.

I watched an episode about a month or so ago, and I'm not shy to admit that the show is very cheesy, or at least the particular episode I watched seemed that way. But still I can't help but be enthralled by it. Perhaps its just Las Vegas or the show girls but the life is appealing. His chains and his attire do not appeal to me, in fact it only makes it more hokey to me, but that is simply a character. The idea of tricking someones mind is what I can't help myself about, and lately I have been thinking, maybe I will teach myself some more magic tricks.

It was back awhile when I had to put on a performance for a class I was taking, during my Mindfreak days, and I was put into a group with three other of my friends at the time (one who was and still is to this day my best friend) and looking back on it now I feel I may have forced the magic show idea upon them. But my best friend had a trick ready, it was one that involved cups and a couple or so small balls, and it was a stack the cups disappearing-ball kind of trick. I had two magic tricks already ready and they were both ones that I had known from Criss and had taught myself to do them -- disappearing salt shaker, and disappearing spoon.

For the disappearing salt shaker, you take the shaker and put a napkin over it, closing it around the shaker, and then you move it around the table and slam it down and it disappears and the napkin goes flat. I pulled it off and was very proud of myself, and even more proud when people were absolutely amazed and came up to inspect the table I was using. It was a very proud moment that I think I will always remember.

The disappearing spoon did not go so well, because one of the girls I was working with messed up, but we got through the magic show with a pretty good grade. You take a handkerchief and put a utensil underneath it and hold the spoon through the handkerchief at the top. You go around the table and get people to feel that the spoon is there, and once everyone has felt you toss the handkerchief up and the spoon has disappeared.

I'm thinking maybe I will learn some tricks. The only speed bump is I'm not a very patient person when it comes to learning -- if I can't do it well right away, then I'm done. It's a big problem. So I may look into it and start and then completely fail. It's not the first time I've done it either, so I know from experience, but I guess it's worth a try.
September 19th, 2012 at 11:00pm