It's More Than Just Noise and Sounds

“Rise up and celebrate your life.” Would you believe me if I told you that these inspirational words came from a rock band called Black Veil Brides? Yeah, most people wouldn’t either. To me, this rock band is more than just a band. They’re life savers. It’s not just the music that I happen to prefer that can change lives. All music can change, shape and save lives. I’ve met other people—normal people just like you and me—who have said that music has saved their life. I, too, am one of those people. A lot of people don’t understand why I say one specific song or one specific band can do such powerful things. It’s surprising to me sometimes, too. When you’re someone like me, and people make fun of you because the bands you listen to are “scary” and not stereotypical, it can make your life harder. That’s where the music comes into play. I feel this special connection and I know I’m not alone. The great thing about music is that it isn’t just about saving people from suicide. Music can perform miracles.

When I was around eleven or twelve years old, I read an article in a magazine about a teenage boy who’s life was saved by music. At that age, I really didn’t understand but the story stuck with me all these years. This sixteen year old boy had been in a coma for months and was nearing death. They say, before you die, the last sense to go is hearing. The boy’s mother brought in CDs by Green Day—his favorite band—and played them for him so the sound of their melodies would be the last thing he heard before he died. Weeks went by and the mother came in every day to play the music for her son. One day, he woke up from his coma. It was a miracle he was alive and they say the music kept him from dying. Music saved his life.

It’s one of those supernatural things that we can’t always explain but we just have to accept. I believe that music saves lives. I believe it’s more than just noise and sounds.
September 20th, 2012 at 03:33am