"My Chemical Romance is breaking up! OMG!"

I want to rant about something. I'm really hoping to not get myself into trouble, but it's driving me (more) insane (than normal)!!

I'm sure by now we have all heard the rumors that My Chem is breaking up. *eyeroll* Okay, I get their reasons. Gerard said onstage once that "The World Is Ugly" would be released when the band was over. And Frank has said that the "scrapped" album might be released after the band broke up. (Those are paraphrased statements but close to the actual quotes.) And now the band is releasing "The World Is Ugly" as part of the "scrapped" album. Double whammy, I get it.

And just to add to the rumor mill, My Chem was in studio working on what Gerard dubbed "MCR5" until July, when it seems like all the band members went each their own way, and we've had not a word said by anyone inside the My Chem camp since then. (And, yes, I am aware of the Kevin Smith's "Spoilers" show, but that was aired in July and recorded before then.) That leaves huge question marks surrounding the new album.

But seriously, people! Come the FUCK on! Yes, I'm just as worried about what all that means! My Chem is definitely my FAVORITE band all-time! I will be devastated and mourn the passing of my favorite band... when they ACTUALLY break up. I'm not here to say they are or aren't breaking up! I don't know! And that's my point... NO ONE DOES except the band and the people that work with the band!!

And it's fucking EVERYWHERE!! And people aren't just talking about "what happens if"; no, they are stating as fact, "The band is breaking up!" SAYS WHO?! Please, tell me where you got this great inside information!

And let me talking about all this "evidence" they have that the band is breaking up...

What Gerard said: This is super easy to counterargue. Gerard has said (more than once, I believe) that he doesn't think about what he is saying onstage, that he just says what he's feeling at the time, and that most of the time, he doesn't even remember what he said onstage after the show is over. And we ALL know Gerard has said some shit onstage before! But really think about it for a minute, please. He's up onstage with his adrenaline pumping, music blaring, fully living in his stage persona. (And lets not act like we don't know onstage Gerard and offstage Gerard are nearly two different people. *glare* The entire band has admitted to having a stage persona.) I'd like to see a person who thinks they can live that night after night and ALWAYS say only what they mean and is fact. (Because it's not possible!)

And what Frank said: This one is a little more difficult, but I can use Frank's own words in defense. He very clearly articulates in his blog post (the one on MCR.com that every fan has read by now) that they had a change of heart about the scrapped album. He goes on to state that they didn't want to keep secrets anymore. Then he says:

"We hope you enjoy these time capsules, and that they may shed a little more light on how and where Danger Days came from, and maybe even where the future of MCR might be heading."

I bolded that last part on purpose; that, to me, doesn't sound like something one would say if facing the breaking up of his band. If the band were breaking up, there wouldn't be a "future of MCR", now would there be? (Unless the announcement that the band is breaking up is written into the lyrics of the songs, but that's a far stretch here. I doubt My Chem, as open and honest with fans as they are, would announce the breaking up of the band in such a way!)

So that leaves the new album and lack of intel: I don't know what to say about this one. Maybe they didn't like this new album either. Maybe one of them had some family issues and they needed to take a break. Maybe some other venture needed attention. Or the studio might have called off the recording of the album temporarily. Or ... WHO FUCKING KNOWS OTHER THAN THE BAND?! When did any of them sign on the dotted line that they would keep the fanbase in the know at all times?! I didn't realize that was an obligation they had to me as a fan! (As a matter of fact, I didn't know ANYTHING was their obligation to me as a fan!)

So seriously, folks, can we please wait until MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE breaks the news that they are breaking up before we go into complete hysterics?!

And here's what worse... I have actually seen some people declaring how their world would literally end if the band breaks up. *confusion* Look, anyone who knows me knows I am going to have a complete meltdown when the band stops making music. But there are two things about that last statement: One, the key term is WHEN; it is inevitable that the band IS going to break up one day. (I mean, they can't do this forever!) And two, after a couple of days, I'll pull myself back together and realize that My Chem will never actually die and that the fanbase will always be here! (I mean, what? Is all evidence that they ever existed just going to turn to dust instantly?! Because Y2K was suppose to be like that and, yeah, I missed the choas midnight rolling in caused there.)

Maybe I've just been going to my therapist too long, but it seems to me like, while I can love them ENTIRELY too much, I should have some grasp of reality that tells me they aren't going to make music forever and that life WILL go on when that happens! And plus, it's not like the guys are going to stop existing just because the band does! Frank has LeATHERMOUTH (and he has made it clear he can self-sustain in the music business multiple times), and Gerard is a staple in the comic community now! I'm sure Mikey and Ray will find something, too.

I just... it's not even been a week yet, and this melodramatic shit is ALL OVER already! And people think I'm dramatic! *rolls eyes* I know I am extremely emotional and come off as a drama queen at times, but this is completely OVERBOARD to just be speculation right now! (Am I the only one who remembers the "they're breaking up!" frenzy over the line "Well now this could be the last of all the rides we take" in "Kids..."? *glare* Granted it wasn't as big as this frenzy, but we see how that panned out.) And all over what? A scrapped album and previously non studio recorded song being released? Can people not change their minds? Does the band not have the right to be human just because we see them as music gods?

I'm sorry, but... Yeah, I'm a little worried, but what can I do about it? Nothing. So I'm going to sit my ass right here, enjoy the new songs, and wait for the band to tell me they're done. And when they do, I'll have a good cry and then continue to be the same fan I am now!

/rant
September 20th, 2012 at 05:48am