Coming Out to Another: "Oh."

Yesterday, my brother used the word, "fag" to describe someone he doesn't like. He's done this before and it really upsets me.

I have been bi, or realized I was, scince the sixth grade. I told no one untill the eighth grade. Before today, the only people who knew were: Kiara, Brie (invisiblebabygirl), Kassie, and Nikki. Friend, cousin, friend, friend. That's it. That's all.

So, today I confronted my brother on his feelings of gay people. I argued and he was just awkward about the whole damn thing. Then he asked, "Are you gay?" It was a normaly said question. He just wanted to know why I was asking.

"No, and even if I was I wouldn't tell you because you'd tell Dad and mom." I replied.

"No, I wouldn't."

I took a few moments. "I'm bi."

"Oh," was all he said. "Oh." Just two letters. "Oh."

"Have been since sith grade. I only told Brie and Kiara in eighth."

He parked the truck at the end of the driveway, got out, got the mail, got back in and commented on the newspaper.

I told my brother one of my biggest secrets. My second biggest to be honest. And all he said was, "Oh."

Just "Oh."

Other responses were:

"I don't swing that way!"

"Why is everyone going gay?"

"I am too."

"I didn't know that. But it's okay."

And all he said was "Oh."

I guess I'm just upset that he didn't tell me it was okay. He didn't tell me he was alright with it. He didn't tell me he wasn't alright with it. He didn't tell me what he thought. All he told me was "Oh."

"Oh."
September 21st, 2012 at 07:52pm