Self-Esteem

Okay, so I've never written a blog before, or a journal, when they were those, so give me a break on the layout of this. I tried to make it pretty, but it just got complicated and annoying. If you don't like the layout...sorry. I tried. Hahahaha.

But anyway, I have a friend that I don't know if I should name specifically because she's not good with attention, and she'll probably get embarrassed. But either way, she's my best friend in the whole world, even though we've only been friends for less than a year.

Something that I've noticed through our short friendship is that she's very insecure. It kills me, every time she says that she can't write (even though she's fantastic at writing), that she's dumb (even though she gets straight A's and is number four in our senior class of almost four hundred), that she'll never get into college, that she can't sing... The list, sadly, goes on and on and on.

Everyone else around her can see that she's wrong, that she's crazy, but she doesn't listen to us when we try to communicate it to her. It's almost as if it goes in one ear and out the other.

What sucks the most out of all of this is that her family did this to her. Her family told her from when she was little that she was less-than, and she's told it almost daily now. Somehow, the words of her family resonate truer to her than the words of her friends.

One of the things I hate most in the world is wasting my time. And, unfortunately, that's what it seems like I'm doing by telling my friend over and over again how perfect and wonderful she is to everyone. I almost feel like I've been saying it almost nonstop for the past week, especially.

Anyway, this is kind of starting to become a rant, but I'm basically doing this for a couple of reasons. First, Nameless Friend at Whom This Blog is Directed, you're perfect. You're beautiful and talented in so many ways, and you're the best friend I've ever had. No matter how many times you put yourself down or how many people try to put you down, you're wrong. They're wrong. You're absolutely flawless, and I really don't know where I'd be right now without you. You give me positive feedback on my writing to keep me going, you are there to listen to me when I need someone, and you're always there to pick me up when I'm down. I try to do the same to you, but my words never seem to stick. Maybe this will. And, on an entirely different note, you should tell me whether I'm allowed to put your name in this or not.

Also, let this be a message to people that no matter what you say, no matter how harmless you think it is, it might change someone forever. I know it's said so often now, with how many suicides that are occurring from bullying, that it's become somewhat of a cliché, but it's absolutely the truth. So before you say something, make sure you think about the consequences and ask yourself if you'd want someone saying that to you. And sometimes, even if that internal answer is that you wouldn't care if someone said that to you, you still shouldn't say it. You may be lying to yourself.

Alright, thus ends my first and probably only blog post. Thanks for tuning in. :)
September 24th, 2012 at 03:06am