Pumpkin Pie Recipe Testings

I started doing this last Thanksgiving because the homemade pumpkin pies are just bad. Not enough spice in there. Store bought pies are just.. store bought, made with gross extra ingredients that should never go into food.

So I bought a fresh whole pumpkin, cut it in half with great effort, and pierced the whole thing with a fork and tried to infuse it before hand. I don't think it made a difference.

I then added an unmeasured amount of freshly ground spices to the mixture. Both times were decent but nothing to what I wanted. Third time I didn't even get to try it. I sent it to my Nana and Poppas with my Mom. They said it was the best pumpkin pie they have ever had. Even if I did try it didn't write down how much I put in it.

So when my Mom have a little Thanksgiving for me the next day I just added a tablespoon of all 5 spices. DO NOT DO THIS! You know how pumpkin pie is a nice burnt orange colour? Well mine was brown. It was just over powering and nasty. But my Mom kept eating it saying the texture was lovely.

This year.. after taking Baking and Pastry Arts in college I told myself I will get it right this time. I cooked the pumpkin in the oven pureed it mix the other ingredients and weighed the mixture.
I then divided it into 4 containers to practice 4 spice combos. So far only on the first batch. I tasted the uncooked mixture, and it tastes great so far.

Would anyone like the final recipe when I'm done have an awesome properly spiced pumpkin pie?
September 25th, 2012 at 07:18pm