Roommate Problems That I Need Help Solving

It's my freshman year in college, and I absolutely love it. Well, I love most of it. I have one major problem: my roommate. I'm hoping any of you out there who have experience living with an unideal roommate can give me some tips, even if you haven't had exactly the same problem.

When I first met my roommate, I thought that I would absolutely hate her. She made it clear from the start that she wasn't a very social person, and had no intention of forming relationships with the people she met here. What made it worse is that she took an instant disliking to all the girls on our floor. She is constantly complaining about them and giving them dirty looks. She never let me keep the door open, and this really hurt my own relationships with my floor mates the first few weeks. Eventually, I got over all of this. I made friends with the girls on my floor, and sometimes have them over even when she is in the room. After all, in our roommate agreement with our RA, we both agreed that we didn't mind if the other had guests over at any time.

She and I are on pretty good terms now, and even hang out every once in a while, but I don't want to chance things, and make our living situation awkwardly by handling the situation the wrong way. Let me explain, the situation is the use of my futon. I do not mind at all her sitting on the futon to watch TV or even using it to do homework; however, this is not where the use of the futon stops. When she does use the futon for homework, she spreads her books around the entire sitting area, leaving me no where to sit other than the uncomfortable desk chairs that the school provided us with. Honestly, that is the least of the problems with the futon. I can handle that. What I can't handle is her sleeping on it. She falls asleep on it every night, and very early. She calls it her "nap". This nap usually lasts from around 9 at night till 4 in the morning, at which point she will get up, take a shower, and then sleep in her own bed. It's extremely inconvenient because I then can't watch TV or sit on the futon for any purposes. I feel bad even having my desk lamp on while I'm studying because the futon is right next to my bed. To make matters worse, she drools in her sleep. I understand that it's a problem that can't be controlled, but she does it while sleeping on my futon, leaving marks from her drool behind her. I find it disgusting. The futon is for common use, but her drool makes it unsanitary! I really just wished she would keep the sleeping to her own bed, but I don't know how to say "no sleeping on the futon" when I even nap on it sometimes.

I really just don't know how to address this problem with her without insulting her or making her upset. I really just want to have a peaceful, drama-free dorm room. Help?
September 30th, 2012 at 06:28am