English Praise

In my English class we had to write a narrative essay. It's, basically, just a short story. We had to choose one of two writing prompts:

1. Write about a personal experience you have had in the past and how you learned from it.

2. Change up one of the stories we had already read and make sure the character learns something.

I chose to do mine over the second choice with the story Shoofly Pie which is about a girl named Mattie who gets a job at Good For You Restaurant after her mother has died. I could go on with the summary to better explain it, but I don;t have much time.

I wrote about how Johnny, the cook who is not in the first half of the story and is rude to Mattie at first when he meets her, taught her to juggle thins (School work, work, and a relationship). The reason I chose this was because the first line of the last paragraph goes something like:

And that was the day I resigned. I had too much schoolwork piling up to keep this job.

I don't have my literature book at the moment so it might be a bit off, but I wrote it and turned it in like that.

The following days we spent an amount of time discussing fragments and run-on sentences and Mrs. Megee corrected our papers and we had to re-write them.

Well, I got mine back and I didn't have a single correction.

Mrs. Megee was kind of frustrated that I didn't have anything incorrect haha.

Her exact words were, "I would tell you to add detail, but you've already done that. I would tell you to broaden your word choice, but you've already have a pretty amazing word choice for a sophomore. I mean here you used the word mumbled. Nobody does that except you. I like reading your stuff too."

I was so flattered, because this is my 10th grade English teacher!!

Later, when I get the graded paper back, I can post it in a blog so you can see what I wrote about and all that. It was fairly short compared to some others.
October 12th, 2012 at 12:30am