I'm not sure what to think...

I wrote this new oneshot. It's a kinky Frerard smut, "Fill Me Up, Make Me Hurt." But it's not just mild kinky; no, it's got some more "alternative" kinks in it, kinks that make most people gasp and curl their toes.

I wasn't expecting much response to it. And in all but one way, I have been pretty much dead on with how it was going to be received. Between two sites, I received two comments, and one of those is from a friend of mine that reads nearly everything I write regardless of what it is. On here, it's only gotten six recommendations and four subscribers, and the other site doesn't have recommendations or subscribers. But it's only been up for about a day and a half. Perhaps I'll get a few more responses eventually.

But here's what's surprising to me. In that one and a half days, just here on Mibba, it's had a hundred readers. o.O I'm somehow thinking a very large majority of those people stopped reading when they realized what was going on. (I never spelled it out anywhere; the reader pretty much has to figure it out, which is easily done early in the story.) But a small part of me hopes that maybe there are some who very much enjoyed it but aren't willing to admit it publically.

Another friend of mine that read it (even though it wasn't his/her thing) complimented me on the courage it took to write and post such a story. Trust me, writing it was the easy part; actually clicking "Post" was the HARDEST part!

It's not like I'm the first person to ever write this sort of kinky smut, not even in this particular bandom. Granted it's more common in other fandoms out there, but I've read a few Frerard kinks before. But I'm slightly worried now about what this story is going to do to my reputation. Are people still going to read my other stuff? Is this going to prevent others from checking out my future oneshots in fear of what they'll read? By some small miracle, is it going to increase my reader base?

And why does it have so many readers already? It make me kind of giddy that it just has to be spreading through the grape vine for it to have so many readers so quickly. I just wish I knew what people were thinking! Is is "Oh my god! You have to see this REALLY GROSS story!" or "Oh my god! There is this AMAZING kink story you just have to read!"? I get why people don't want to post comments; then your name is somehow attached to this. But it's hard to know if I should write more of this sort of thing or let this be my only kink fic.

It's just odd for me. I've never had a story get a hundred readers in less than two days before. I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing. I don't know how to interpret so many readers so quickly on a story I thought was pretty much going to be taboo.

If anyone has any opinions, even if you haven't read the oneshot, please feel free to share!
October 16th, 2012 at 07:32pm