Did your news feed blow up, too?

Saturday, a girl in my class updated her status. "RIP Amanda Todd."
Naturally, she got a shit-ton of likes and then everyone started talking about it.
I didn't get it. So I turn to my friend Google.

It's such a tragic story, as all suicide stories are. She made some bad decisions; some that made me cringe. Because I have done similar things. But, those mistakes followed her and just ate her away. This is the effect of bullying. WORDS HURT. ACTIONS HURT. PEOPLE GET HURT.

This story, though, for some reason, BLEW UP! Everyone's talking about it. It came from Canada. I'm in a little town in central New York.

It's so sad. And she was such a pretty girl. How her story got that much attention worldwide? No clue. I don't know. In a way, you could see it as a blessing. Her family is probably getting all the support they deserve. I mean, suicide to me is a permanent solution to a temperary problem. And I could never see myself doing ANYTHING like that. But, many people see no end to their issues and that's why people kill themselves every day.

Typing that made me cringle up a little bit.

Another response to the story is.. well.. a negative one. Some are saying, "Well she was being a slut and that's why everyone cares. Because she was hot! Other people die every day. Where's their Facebook page?"

That.. irks me a bit. I mean, it's true in a way. She was a pretty girl. And other people who have committed suicide don't have this kind of media wildfire. However, that's no reason to slut-shame her and compare suicide stories because they're alll sad. They're all tragic. And I just wish that they could have seen a glimmer of hope to keep them holding on.
October 17th, 2012 at 03:50am