Why do girls dumb themselves down?

Question of the day: “What was Hitler's surname?”

I've been exposed to a lot of stupidity in my life, but this takes the cake. Unfortunately after the girl, let's call her C, asked her question many seemed to share her curiosity.

“He didn't have one.” I responded. “He's like Ke$ha.”

As much as I'd like to bitch about how much I loath the fact that C is admired despite her obvious lack of brain cells, that isn't my topic. The topic is: Why do girls feel the need to dumb themselves down?

I'm almost sure C knows that Hitler is not, in fact, Ke$ha's predecessor. This was the day after we learned about Adolf Hitler's rise to power in history. So why? It would make more sense f I fleshed out the scene more. Imagine a classroom filled with thirty two high schoolers, the teacher is out and they're getting rowdy. C is absently twirling her stick straight hair around her finger as she tries to lure me into conversation.

“Why are you reading? Mr. Oliver isn't even here!” she says pouting 'cutely'.

“Seeing as this is math class, I don't think he would've cared about my book.” I said.

I steadily try to ignore her, but her loud vapid attempts at conversation lead to her long time crush H joining us, along with two of his friends. H attempts to sound smarter than me by stating that reading The Casual Vacancy is childish, as he'd apparently read Mein Kampf.(For those of you who don't know, this is Hitler's book in which he outlines his plans with the Jews.)

Before I could reply with the usual snark. C came to my rescue.

“A book about racism? How's that better than what she's reading?” C said, surprising me that she even knew what Mein Kampf was.

Seeing the stunned looks we all gave her, mine mixed with approval. She realized her intelligence was showing and quickly covered by saying: “What was Hitler's surname anyway?”

Instantly, H looked at C in the usual way again. The look, that if he gave it to me, would earn him a swift and very cutting rejection. C, sweet naïve C, took this as a cue to start twirling her hair again.

So what's the reason most girls dumb themselves down? Guys. And that's why I'll either date a hipster or a nerd. More likely though, I'll be alone forever watching bad sitcoms to fill the void.
October 20th, 2012 at 10:02pm