On Suicide/Self Harm

Firstly, regarding the whole Amanda Todd business, I don't know the full story. No one knows the full story, probably not even her family. Therefore, I don't think it's right to pity or slander her. She obviously had issues, regardless of whether she brought them on herself, but that's no reason to disrespect her. On the other hand, I believe there is always an option besides taking your own life. It's cliche, but suicide really is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, no matter how bad life seems at the time. Also, if you're going to glorify one suicide, glorify them all, because each and every one of them is tragic in its own way, and just because it wasn't splattered across the tv and internet doesn't mean it was any less tragic.

Secondly, self harm is serious business. I've never been depressed or stressed or anxious enough to harm myself, so I cannot relate, and I'm not going to try to relate or imagine what could drive one to that extreme. But, I what I do know is it isn't worth it. Don't do something you may live to regret because it always gets better. Find something to distract yourself. Art is a good option for many people (drawing, music, etc.) and many others choose to lose themselves in a book or movie or something. If nothing else, go take a walk or something to think about it. And always remember, it gets better. <3

Thirdly, all the douche bags out there telling people who are already suicidal to go cut themselves or kill themselves, that's just ridiculous. Who are you to think you can decide who deserves to be in this world and who doesn't? Who are you to tell someone they aren't worth it? That they aren't beautiful? That they don't have just as much a right as you to a good and happy life? Anyone who thinks they have the authority to tell someone to die is just ignorant and needs to shut their mouth. Your casual insult could be the breaking point for someone already close to the edge.

To anyone who is suicidal or partakes in self harm, please don't. It's really, really not worth it. Think about all the positive things and people in your life. Remember posts like this and the fact that there are people rooting for you. I understand that negative things are harder to forget, but they aren't important. What's important is you. You and your beautiful flaws. All the little nuances and quirks that make you you. Be proud of you. Know that you are worth a second chance. Be happy just to be alive, because life is such a fragile thing. Don't tear up your story just because the first few chapters were a mess. Take a deep breath. Look around. And live.
October 21st, 2012 at 04:06am