“Um...so, nice weather we’re having, huh?”

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Have you ever had that awkward moment when you’re sitting in the car with someone and...

Dear god, this is awkward. I should say something. Why are we so quiet?

Jeez, she keeps looking at me. Does she expect
me to say something? Oh, jeez...

Okay, it’s been five minutes, why aren’t we saying anything?

Is she mad at me or what? God, um...something to say is...


“Hey, remember that last time we were at the gym, how funny Chris was being?”

And then you get an equally awkward, “Oh, yeah.”

Great, you’ve just been deflected, and now it’s a slightly more depressing silence.

So, my question today is, how do you start up a great conversation when you can’t think of anything interesting to say? I mean, no one wants to be in that awkward moment when you’re standing next to a friend waiting for someone to say something, anything. But I guess it depends on the people. Comfortable silences are great and all.

But how do we get past that moment after something awesome/weird has happened and there’s this mental block in your head giggling, “Wow, you must feel so awkward right now, huh?

Well, that’s the trick, isn’t it?

I’d love to hear your awkward silence stories. Feel free to leave comments! =)
October 22nd, 2012 at 02:36pm