Alex's Lemonade Stand - Blog Challenge #3 - Mibba's Activism Challange



What is the history behind your cause? Is there a founder of leader? Celebrity Sponsors?

The history behind Alex’s Lemonade Stand is just as inspiring as the children that it helps. To truly learn the history of the charity, you have to go to the little lady that started it all: Alexandra (Alex) Scott. Just before her first birthday, Alex was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, one of the many types of childhood cancers. Initially, her doctors were very doubtful of her chances of beating the cancer, and if by any miracle she did beat the cancer, they predicted that she would not be able to ever walk.

Well, little Alex did not only beat the odds when her cancer improved, but she also could kick with her legs, stand with leg braces, and soon enough, she was learning how to walk. When her family was finally getting a sigh of relief that she was beating the cancer, they found out that her tumors started growing again. One day after her fourth birthday, Alex received a stem cell transplant. Before she bravely went into surgery, she said, “When I get out of the hospital, I want to have a lemonade stand,” and give all the money to the doctors for them to, “help other kids like they helped me.”

After she was released from the hospital, she and her older brother set up her first lemonade stand and raised an astounding $2,000. Since then, Alex and her family held annual lemonade stands in their own front yard while Alex was bravely battling her cancer.

Before she died in 2004 at the tender age of eight, Alex declared that she wanted to raise $1 million to help find the cure for pediatric cancer. Since then, every one of her family members have tried endlessly to achieve that goal, and so, Alex’s Lemonade Stand was born.

Since the charity has started, Alex’s Lemonade Stand got an astounding number of sponsors to help Alex achieve and even surpass her goal. Some of the many celebrity sponsors that endorse Alex’s Lemonade Stand are: Jordin Sparks, Cindy Crawford, Celine Dion, Jerry Seinfeld and many more celebrities that are serving as ambassadors for this amazing charity.

Blog Challenge #3 - written for Mibba's Activism Challenge
October 23rd, 2012 at 02:54am